Quantcast
Crazy burr on new Tojiro bread knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy burr on new Tojiro bread knife

Crazy burr on new Tojiro bread knife

Hi all

I recently purchased a new Tojiro bread knife (the one with the scalloped edge). It came to me with a significant burr on the right side at the peak of almost all the scallops. I was able to actually lift the blade up with my fingernail as i dragged it across the edge in a "checking for burr" motion.
    I took the burr off by dragging/stropping the blade across the corner of my Rika 5k using the technique from a video I saw on how to sharpen scalloped knives (and actually sharpened my exact bread knife in the vid). It seems to cut better now.

Anybody else notice this on their Tojiro bread knife? I was not all that impressed by the out of box edge on this one and I think if anyone asked me I'd recommend they save up 20 bucks more and get the Mac superior instead.

Any thoughts? This knife came highly recommended by members of this and other forums.

Picked one up ~15 months ago and had no such issue with it.

should have just gotten the mac

I got the Mac, and it's flawless, but I've never head a negative review of the Tojiro.

Glad you were able to sort it out, and hopefully you'll have fun with it moving forward.

That's annoying that it came from the factory like that. I got one of the very first of the Tojiro ITK bread knives and it was flawless. Factory edge was good, totally adequate, but not crazy sharp. I've sharpened it a few times and it's capable of taking a very sharp edge, but it does form a burr like crazy. I used a split leather strop loaded with 2micron paste and strop on the back side to remove as much burr as possible. I also used the "edge" of smooth oval steel to flip the burr back over to the back side. Then I used a felt block and edge of a block of scrap wood to remove what remained of the burr.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Funky, I have used three and never seen it, maybe just a fluke.

you can actually sharpen these things!?? doesn't it destroy your stones?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    you can actually sharpen these things!?? doesn't it destroy your stones?
    Don't use stones:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Serrated-Edges

Ceramic or diamond steels work well for quick touch-ups too.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

It seems to me that that technique while perfect for pointy serrated knives, might sort of turn our nicely scalloped edges into pointy serrations...

Note that the knife Dave is sharpening is not the same as the scalloped Tojiro or Mac Superior...His before pictures have teeth that have been rounded from use and his after photos shows them nice and pointy, like most other bread knives.

In fact, in post 13 of the same thread Dave says using the corner of a stone works well for our scallops.
    Last edited by kartman35; 03-13-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: more info

I've used two, one of them had this issue new. It's been a couple years since mine, but I'm not surprised. I assumed there were more like this and we were all just 'dealing with it,' as seems to be the case with projects from that place.

As noted, they are quite prone to this when sharpened as well.

If only I could find a Gude...
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread