Quantcast
Walnut Bases and Strops - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Walnut Bases and Strops

You are welcome.

Spray a light coat and let dry overnight. If you want more density, give it another coat the following day.

We have had rain after rain this past week so I can't get to finishing the rest with poly. Will ship the rest as I get them finished. These orders will include plates and other stuff you guys ordered. Some will go USPS and some UPS.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks for the directions, Marko!

I'm new to stropping, and was just coming on here to ask for some guidance--glad it was already here! Looking forward to using the strop and spray.

If anyone feels strongly that one coat is enough, or that two is definitely better, please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Thanks for the directions, Marko!

I'm new to stropping, and was just coming on here to ask for some guidance--glad it was already here! Looking forward to using the strop and spray.

If anyone feels strongly that one coat is enough, or that two is definitely better, please chime in.

I typically apply one coat and reapply it every 2-3 weeks. On felt you get benefits of stropping from both felt and diamond, so even if the density is not great, you will still see quite an improvement to your edge.

M

The first 5 orders are shipped out.

This week these will be ready to ship. We have had pretty rainy weather in NE - awful for finish to cure, so things have been moving rather slowly.

I will send out a tracking info once the labels are printed and packages are ready for a drop-off.

WildBoar
    Johny.B.Good
    Von blewin
    Anton
    Mrmnms
    Cookingstuf

Can these be irdered thru your webstore? Or is there a wait list wouls like to order 1 w the spray

Does this mean my full package is coming?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Let me say that as a first strop (albeit quite a fancy and expensive one) the results from the 1 micron spray and the felt has been fantastic. Touching up on carbon has been awesome, revitalizing an 80% edge to 100% with minimal time and without wet mess. Loving this so far! It also helps that the fit and finish is great and my wife doesn't mind this sitting out on a counter (and she hates muddy silpats with drying stones littering my counter!). Since I am a home cook, I genuinely think this will prolong my stones significantly.

Also just a note, if you accidentally get water on this guy it can cause an ugly raised section. Just take a steamy iron on wool setting to it and it will steam the bumps out. I inadvertently took a somewhat wet knife to it and it left a gross tumor looking raised bump. Then googled and found the iron steam solution on another forum.

Thanks again Marko!

Thanks for the tip, skiajl6297. Water is only problem for the felt, as far as I know.

I thought stropping prolongs the life of a knife, but now that you mentioned, it also prolongs the life of the stones.

I have been getting numerous inquiries about availability of the strops. The first batch was made to order, and I have to make them in mid-size batches, to make any money on them (I probably broke even on the first run). They are quite labor intensive, particularly the finishing aspect, but I am willing to offer them, as I think they are a good product. It also gives me an opportunity to work with wood. These are made entirely by me - no sourcing out at any stage.

After I ship out the remaining orders, I will do another run of strops and stock them up.

I am also contemplating a group buy for DMT flattening plate (10x4"). These oversize plates are highly efficient at flattening stones, so I think some of you might be interested.

Also, if there is interest, I could offer leather strops on magnetic backing to be used with DMT plates. Leather can be used with diamond spray or felt.

M

I think 1M spray is sufficient, but I am open to stock up on other sizes if there is an interest.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Leather can be used with diamond spray or felt.

M
    I meant aluminum oxide

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    The first 5 orders are shipped out.

This week these will be ready to ship. We have had pretty rainy weather in NE - awful for finish to cure, so things have been moving rather slowly.

I will send out a tracking info once the labels are printed and packages are ready for a drop-off.

WildBoar
    Johny.B.Good
    Von blewin
    Anton
    Mrmnms
    Cookingstuf

Want to add that these are poly finished and the finish turned out pretty good. Had 2 days of a nice weather (for curing finish), so the US orders from above are to go out tomorrow. International will be sent a little later, as I need to combine them with other stuff.

I will send you the tracking number once the packages are in the mail.

Next week what's left of the orders including placed recently (bases, plates, spray, etc) will go out.

Whew!!!

Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread