Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Bases and Strops

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    The set is $74.75. Will add it to the site shortly.
    Sorry for asking 308943902482039842039842039842098234098 questions but are there any plans or anything else besides felt AS WELL

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    Sorry for asking 308943902482039842039842039842098234098 questions but are there any plans or anything else besides felt AS WELL
    What do you mean by anything else?

Strop and spray set are in the store. Click here to view

The 15% business throws me off, as it is applied to all products in the store. I think I might just do fixed prices on all items, including those in the limited time offer.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Like are they glued to the wooden base? to use different types of materials such as leather, balsa, etc

Currently I am offering two types of strops - a fixed strop, that is a felt is glued to the wood base, and a felt pad with a magnetic backing - to be used with DMT plates in 11.5x2.75 and 8x3".

I tailor products to knives I make and I find that felt and honing spray do miracles to 52100 and other steels I am using, so this is a product you will always find in my product line.

I can offer leather strops if there is a demand for these. I would probably start with getting a splitter to guarantee the uniform thickness of the leather. A good manual splitter costs in mid to high hundreds and a good electric starts at about $1500. If I get 20-30 orders for leather strops, I would bite a bullet and get a splitter. Otherwise, it's just an impractical use of resources (limited, unfortunately, as I still have a huge "to get" equipment list).

Same applies to balsa wood. Is there a demand for it? How much demand?

5 walnut & 3 maple bases are in works.

eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr so tempted to purchase...... how long does the felt usually last on these? and then do you strip it off and reglue a replacement?

I'll take walnut (magnetic felt with the DMT we talked about)

Quote Originally Posted by pleue View Post
    I'll take walnut (magnetic felt with the DMT we talked about)
    If pleue is saying what I think he is ill take the same thing

a walnut base with a magnetic felt pad and a dmt with a diamond spray can you make that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    If pleue is saying what I think he is ill take the same thing

a walnut base with a magnetic felt pad and a dmt with a diamond spray can you make that happen?
    I have been making this stuff for some time now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0564.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	20159

I find 11.5x2.5 plate more to my liking than 8x3, so these are plates I will offer. You can choose between 1.2K, 4K and 8K. All will work great as a stropping surface for a felt pad with magnetic backing, and the wooden base elevates the sharpening/stropping setup to a comfortable level.

I think it's a good idea for bundling these things together and offering a discount.

Felt can last a long time, I have some I have had for years. One thing you have to watch for is not to make it overly wet, as it makes wool fibers expand. Folks on the forum were able to correct spots that were exposed to moisture with steam iron, but I haven't tried it myself.

You apply a thin coat of honing spray periodically.

M

After a first coat of finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131112_104106.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	20176