Walnut Bases and Strops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Heading to a lumber yard tomorrow to pick up some walnut for bases and strops. I like to use quartersawn walnut, as it this cut, it is the most stable.

I will need to ask you guys what finish you would prefer. I can do Tru-Oil finish or Poly. Poly would be good if the base might come in contact with water. Tru-Oil has the closest finish to a natural look.

M

I can't see myself getting the base wet (or leaving it that way if it happens), so I don't think that's an issue.

Whatever you think looks best gets my vote.

Poly is probably cheaper and a little more water resistant, no? Also seems like I have to do at least 4 coats of tru oil to get a consistent finish. Poly usually takes less.

I guess it would depend, do you recommend to use the diamond stones dry?

Poly is probably cheaper and a little more water resistant, no? Also seems like I have to do at least 4 coats of tru oil to get a consistent finish. Poly usually takes less.

They are comparable in price. I buy Tru-Oil in quart bottles and I use a type of Poly that you apply by hand. Both would require 5-6 coats to build up a thin film.

Tru-Oil finish preserves a natural look. Poly has a duller finish, but offers a better protection from elements. Both will be in satin finish (not gloss).

When you spray felt strops with diamond spray you will get a little bit of it on the wood. Not a big deal - you can clean it up with a wet rag.

I use a drop of water or two on the surface of the plate when sharpening, and then just wash the plate and pad-dry. You need very little water to lubricate the surface for smooth sharpening.

I hope to pick some nice grain walnut today for bases/strops and cutting boards. It's like a treasure hunt, you never know what you will find.

I am also in the process of ordering new branding heads with my logo 1" tall and 1/2" tall (my old logo is Marko Designs). It's going to be two+ weeks before I get the new heads, so if I end up shipping bases/strops before that, the old logo will be burned onto the bottom side of a strop or base. The new logo will go on a side of either of these.

Thanks,

M

I like a more natural finish - but defer to your judgment on what looks best (and performs best). Looking forward to this!

Does Poly really take away form the looks? In my case the bases are display pieces, I would consider beautiful functional tools (contradicting? perhaps...), and over time it will get wet, either through moisture or just being around the kitchen.... I'll say Poly.

Marko, I'm assuming you have been using these already, what's your experience? how are these holding up?

Last edited:
I use water with all my diamond plates. I will defer to Marko on the choice of finish. You can make mine last, no rush.

I think I would go poly for mine, will probably end up bringing it to work, where accidents love to happen.

It's a hard call for me. For aesthetic reasons, I prefer Tru-Oil over Poly. For practical reasons, Poly offers more protection. I am going to look into the two finishes a little more, list all cons and pros (maybe even two samples) and have you guys decide one or the other.

Got some really nice walnut for bases and strops and for a few boards.

M

I placed an order today for two logo heads: a larger one (boards) and smaller one (strops, magnetic strips, counter-top stands, etc). Production time is 2 weeks plus shipping time. The company is located in California, so I shouldn't expect them before 3 weeks time.

I got most of the supplies, so I can start making things soon.

I like the walnut I got today. Bases will be 1.25" tall, so there will be plenty to show.

No preference on makers mark for me. Feel free to do what works for you. I know who made it. Sooner it's ready the better! (First strop, new to this, eager to learn, etc.)

No problem. I need to burn a maker's mark before I start finishing process, but I will make all strops as a group, so once I am done with woodworking part, those strops with old maker's mark, will go into finishing stage, and will be delivered faster, while the others will wait for new branding heads to arrive, and then go into finishing stage. I need about 5 days to put 4-5 coats of finish.

I will use this thread to post pictures of work in progress.

M

It's all I know, I lived in NYC for most of my time in the US, and though I live in Westchester now, my heart is still in NYC. Will move back there in a hart beat, though in Brooklyn.

As for classiness, I have an appreciation for well made things and try to imitate it. The roots of this probably stem from Germany though. When I lived there in the early 90s, I worked with a older German guy named Alfred. He told me once, if you do something, do it well, otherwise, why bother. That stuck with me for all these years.

M

You might want to think about moving the logo portion a bit to the left. It looks pretty close to the print. If you don't get a really clean edge they might bleed together a little. Just a thought.

You might want to think about moving the logo portion a bit to the left. It looks pretty close to the print. If you don't get a really clean edge they might bleed together a little. Just a thought.

I think the design is great, but was thinking the text is a bit close to the logo too...

Walnut just got delivered, so will start on strops (strop w/felt attached) shortly.

M

I would move the logo a bit to the left too. Also the top of the A and the bottom of the T look so close to the circle that when burning is there enough separation?

I made the change in the graphics already, so the new logo should have a wider space between the circle and the last name. I am not 100% sure about having it on the left or the right. Once I get a new branding head, I will experiment with the placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your magnetic strip are very cool. Wish I had space for 1

Any word on these? I ordered a strop through your website on the 16th of March, and am wondering how close.

The bases with attached strops are on the last coat of finish and will ship mid week. The bases for a plate require 2-3 more coats, so will ship by the end of the week, likely on Saturday. All plates and supplies are in, so shipments will include complete orders.

I might not be able to get all out, but should get most out this week. Pics as soon as finish is cured.

Thanks for your patience,

M

Forgot to add that I changed design slightly. New design kind of falls into the line with my other stuff, like D handles, strips, (boards will be redesigned) etc.

M

Latest posts

Back