Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation on chef knife for mother.

You could just pay to have her wustof sharpened on a regular basis by someone and provide her one of yours while her's is away. Best of both worlds - she keeps her comfy knife that she already uses, and its respectably sharp most of the time.

Get yourself and her a present. Buy her a nice knife (Suisin makes sense) and buy yourself a stone. You will spend way less than 400 and you will both have sharp knives. Ditch the pull through and the rod.

Cheers!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Get yourself and her a present. Buy her a nice knife (Suisin makes sense) and buy yourself a stone. You will spend way less than 400 and you will both have sharp knives. Ditch the pull through and the rod.

Cheers!
    That's creative thinking.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    You could just pay to have her wustof sharpened on a regular basis by someone and provide her one of yours while her's is away. Best of both worlds - she keeps her comfy knife that she already uses, and its respectably sharp most of the time.
    this^^.

your love and hobby of knives doesnt need to be her's.

my mom is the same way..beaten vintage wustofs and henkels..one has seen so much work deboning chickens is is wedged in the middle. craziest thing i have ever seen. she keeps it because it reminds her of her dead husband. i can respect that.

i pull out the old arkansas stones and put and edge on everything when i visit. she loves it.

$400 should get you a custom stainless knife. Ceramic or diamond rod are much better for folks who don't use stones for sharpening. Electric sharpener or carbide V sharpeners are a No-No for knives hardened past 60RC and thinly ground at the edge.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

victorinox 8", a better quality pull through, and a sharpening rod. i got my mom a messermeister santoku and she NEVER uses it even though i put an edge on it as best as the blade is capable of handling. the cheap fibrox however she uses the hell out of.

Regardless of which knife you choose, you ought to take that pull-through thingie and quietly throw it in the trash.
    Another day, another band aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
    Regardless of which knife you choose, you ought to take that pull-through thingie and quietly throw it in the trash.
    Been waiting for someone to say this...If you buy a decent chef knife or gyuto, do everyone, yourself and your mother a favor, and ditch this POS.

i pull out the old arkansas stones and put and edge on everything when i visit. she loves it.
    i heard arky's give a longer lasting edge on softer stainless like what your mom has.

you think there's any truth to it?

Arkansas is great with soft carbon like the Sabs. With soft stainless: the coarser the better. I sharpen them at J400 and end at 800 for very light stropping. Any higher grit is IMHO counterproductive.