Quantcast
Ceramic Honing Rod: Care and Maintenance
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Honing Rod: Care and Maintenance

Ceramic Honing Rod: Care and Maintenance

Hello guys,

So I'm kind-a new around here so apologize in advance if this thread has been around before but here we go.

So I have this Wustoff fine ceramic rod (J 3000) and I would like your advice on how to store and maintain it. What's the best way to clean it without damage?

Thanks

I use baking soda

I use a "Superaser". They run a little under $5. Google "superaser" and you'll find several sources.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

make a cardboard sheath, if you want to get anal about it you can line the inside with something shock absorbing. i just keep mine unprotected inside knife roll. to clean it, same as said above, 'superaser'

I use Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning. For storing, just remember these things are very brittle. If you have space in a block use it for the rod.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Barkeepers works good and the Superaser works a little better. I use the eraser under running water - perfecto!

Thanks guys, much obliged. Now I just have to find a way to smuggle a couple of Superaser's in the UK but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Bicarbonate of soda on a damp paper towel will do the job really well, I'd try it before you buy anything special.
    The finest of these looks to be similar to super erasers, but may still be too coarse
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/garryson-...ock-prod20009/

is it ok to have the ceramic rod in contact with water? never even thought to try the eraser like that!

baking soda water paste? seems like a good idea, will have to try that.

I've cleaned my Wusthof a million different ways, but I do prefer a felt type material the best. Mines stood up to 3+years of abuse and still gets the job done. I just store it in my kit bag uncovered.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

+ Reply to Thread