Quantcast
Issues with Mac?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Mac?

Issues with Mac?

I am noticing that when IO access the forum from my work computer (PC) I never have a problem getting on. At home, where I use a Mac, I'm almost always told that Safari can find the page. Does this make any sense? Am I doing something wrong, or is this a Mac issue?

This is way out of my league to answer. I'll note it and see what I can find. Thanks for reporting it.

I've a Mac, and no issues. As noted in other threads, it may be a DNS issue, especially considering that you are using two different environments at work and home. The DNS your home ISP is using may not be updated for Dave's website. Try OpenDNS (it's what I use at home). http://www.opendns.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I've a Mac, and no issues. As noted in other threads, it may be a DNS issue, especially considering that you are using two different environments at work and home. The DNS your home ISP is using may not be updated for Dave's website. Try OpenDNS (it's what I use at home). http://www.opendns.com/
    Great. Thanks!

One fairly quick way to check if its a dns problem is to do a nslookup of the site.

On a Mac:

Launch the Network Utility (under applications/utilities).
    Click the Lookup tab.
    Where it says Please enter an internet address to lookup, enter www.kitchenknifeforums.com
    Under Select the information to lookup, pick Default Information.
    Uncheck use dig in place of nslookup.
    Click Lookup.
    This will show the IP address your dns is showing for www.kitchenknifeforums.com It should be 64.57.218.150

If its not then your DNS hasn't updated yet and using opendns might be a good option (arguably a good option instead of your ISP's dns but I won't go into the the technical mumbo jumbo =)

You can also try a ping under the network utility to see if you can actually reach the server.
    Last edited by JeffS; 03-02-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added ping

I use Mac and I am still having problems. I am going to try the DNS and the tips here.

k.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    One fairly quick way to check if its a dns problem is to do a nslookup of the site.

On a Mac:

Launch the Network Utility (under applications/utilities).
    Click the Lookup tab.
    Where it says Please enter an internet address to lookup, enter www.kitchenknifeforums.com
    Under Select the information to lookup, pick Default Information.
    Uncheck use dig in place of nslookup.
    Click Lookup.
    This will show the IP address your dns is showing for www.kitchenknifeforums.com It should be 64.57.218.150

If its not then your DNS hasn't updated yet and using opendns might be a good option (arguably a good option instead of your ISP's dns but I won't go into the the technical mumbo jumbo =)

You can also try a ping under the network utility to see if you can actually reach the server.
    Nice detailed explanation for our Apple using members having problems.

Thanks for filling in the gaps in my rather terse suggestion to "use OpenDNS".

My mac is happy here!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

i am using macbook. it's okae. but if i am using ipad, it's a blank web.

This is weird, some people are OK with MAC other not and then some OK with IPad and other not.

+ Reply to Thread