I QUIT !!!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
My job that is....
let me give you a quick history: Been cooking for a living for over 20 years. Somehow ended up in catering about 10 years ago. The money is better, a lot less overhead etc. I have made a good salary for quite a while now, but have been unhappy with the essence of the work itself for years.

After contemplating and planning for a while I decided to leave my job. I tried to be gracious to my employers and give them an "open notice". I told them I was going to quit catering altogether, but had not even so much as looked for a new job. I hadn't even updated my resume. I wanted to be honest with them and not lie about going on interviews and such. I was willing to give them as much time as possible to get things straight. Hell, I was willing to continue to work for 2 or 3 months -because it's soon busy season again and because I give a 5#!+.
Well, they were pissed and told me that they wanted me to leave in 2 weeks. I guess that's what I get after 5 years of service, and for trying to be nice and give a proper notice.
I guess if I'm not with 'em, I'm against 'em?
So, basically I'll be unemployed because I tried to do the right thing.
I want to be back in a restaurant kitchen again sooooo bad. That's why I got into this business in the first place. It's about more than money.
I'll be lucky to make a half of my salary at whatever restaurant I go to, and I'm fine with that.
I also want a job where I can have a t least 2 days off in a month. I don't want to be the "absentee father" that doesn't see his children grow up.

It's been tough to find anything.
I have a nice Hotel/Resort interested in me and a stage at one of the best restaurants in town lined up for next week. I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm a firm believer that sometimes you have to take chances in life. How many people have achieved greatness while playing it safe the whole time?
I'm going to be a lot more poor for a long time.....
.....but I'm okay with that.

Well.... Congratulations... takes a lot of **, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... right?

Good for you Chris!

BTW, I wouldn't even give them the two weeks. Let them taste some of the crap that you've been chewing on. :)

i'm with customfan on this.

good luck on the search for a new job. may it be a better paying and more fun one.

I know they're looking for a Chef at Camp Lejuene if you want to move to Jacksonville.
How about Parris Island?
I would say Jacksonville is the "Armpit of NC", but Gastonia claims that title.

Good for you Chris!

BTW, I wouldn't even give them the two weeks. Let them taste some of the crap that you've been chewing on. :)

ABC Crap, eh? :)

Best of luck to you Knerd! Pursue your passion and be happy.

In a way, I envy your decision. I like the principle, but love the "promise of a new challenge"! Knock 'em dead!

Good for you, def takes a lot of balls to take such a stance. Well done, and i hope the new road ahead leads to better places.

In today's America, companies do not care about you, and do not appreciate kindness.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure if you keep up the spirit you have going now you'll do great and have a good position in no time!!

Kudos on a big decision and best of luck with the hunt Chis.

Brave! Good luck, and I hope you find something that makes you happy.

Stefan

One of the toughest things I ever did was start The BoardSMITH. When the last job went away I was to old to get another good, high paying job, to young to be a Wal-Mart greeter and much to young to draw Social Security. I had no real backing, little money, a few good tools and a lot of experience. After having one business fold after 18 months a long time ago I was a little leery of trying again but it was either sit on my butt and complain or get out and try to build something. My wife and I agonized with the decision for a long time and then we made the decision to go for it! As it turns out over 8 years later, it was a good decision.

Unlike you my children are grown and they have children of their own so I didn't have to worry about being an absentee Dad. The only thing that changed was the amount of dirty laundry I created and a lot less money to have around. I know nothing about the food service industry but I do know that if a person sets their sights on a realistic goal and then works towards it with diligence, that realistic goal will be reached with effort.

I wish you the best and I know that you will come out on top.

Hey David, if nothing pans out for me I'm going to appear on your doorstep to begin my new career as "Boardsmith shop monkey".
I promise I'll buy some steel-toed shoes/boots first though!

Man, I hated catering. It's rare I cook "out" these days despite many good money requests.I just hate it!
I can tell you from experience, cooking isn't the same without the passion.

Good for you!

Good job Chris. Taking chances is not for everybody, but if you are persevere, good things will come to you. Guaranteed.

How many people have achieved greatness while playing it safe the whole time?

Very few. Good luck in your search. One door closes...another opens.
You started down a new path on a high note when you gave your current employer ample notice. Finish your two weeks by taking the high road and being professional. Ask for a letter of recommendation.
Best of luck my friend.

Good luck Chris, I'm sure this will work out for the best. Amazing how companies can be ungrateful in a situation like this. As someone else said, good on you for taking the high road!

Cheers,
Jim

Good luck !!! You can`t win the race if you don`t run!! Its gonna suck for a bit but you `ll find your footing and take off like a cheetah!!

Joseph Campbell said "follow your bliss". When you do the universe opens up for you.
Best of fortune in your quest!

Man, I hated catering. It's rare I cook "out" these days despite many good money requests.I just hate it!
I can tell you from experience, cooking isn't the same without the passion.

Good for you!

I agree with Salty completely.

Catering sucks! And without passion and creativity, this industry becomes pretty soul sucking rather quickly... Glad to see you're doing what feels right for you, rather than what feels right for your wallet. People mix those up a lot it seems...

I agree with Salty completely.

Catering sucks! And without passion and creativity, this industry becomes pretty soul sucking rather quickly... Glad to see you're doing what feels right for you, rather than what feels right for your wallet. People mix those up a lot it seems...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this. Catering doesn't suck,some caterers suck.I'm fortunate enough to work for a great catering company filled with tons of passion and creativity.
Nothing wrong with making good money for what you're good at(and enjoy).I'll never go back to regular kitchen work..ever.

Congrats to you for doing what you think is right and good luck!

+1 yup.. would they give you 2 weeks if they were firing you? i think not

Good for you Chris!

Latest posts

Back