Quantcast
Question for those who cook a lot of steaks - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who cook a lot of steaks

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Fish, steaks...it becomes intuitive. I cook upwards of a few dozen steaks daily, and haven't had a recook at my current job yet.
    +1 with enough experience you just know.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I can honestly say I have never used a thermometer on a steak. I poke'em with a finger if I have to but usually just know.
    It's hard to estimate how many I've cooked in 35 years. A conservative estimate of 1500 a month puts me around 700,000, x an average of 12 oz, thats about a half million pounds. No, I don't need a thermometer.

As Will Sonnet would say, "no brag, just fact."
    I'm with Salty here, The 1/2 dozen times I've had a steak returned in my career was more a matter of the customer not knowing what they wanted. You know between temps between medium and mid well. that sorta thing.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Poke test for me too - why put a hole in a good piece of meat? I think resting is key as well.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Poke test for me too - why put a hole in a good piece of meat? I think resting is key as well.
    That's what the window's for
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

An instant reading thermometer - testing internal temperature.

I generally use a probe though I don't cook many. Some of the customers where I work are ********. Medium-well Done but not pink; they want it rare but not bloody; they don't want it blue, they don't want it rare, but somewhere in between; they want it very medium; they want it well done but not burnt

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    For a while I would let well done go out just at well done. I would just get them coming back wanting "more done". Later on I finally say screw it they will get it how ever it goes. I just poke any more. Funny thing I work with a guy who has worked with a grill for about 10 yrs. and he still uses a thermo..
    Chewie's the man.

A good tip from Marco Pierre white which I have tested and it's true when you first see the blood on the steak while cooking its medium rare.

Honestly though its all about practice and experience. Plus each cut feels different as an example filet n strip, strip is much firmer even when rare.

cake tester for sure. using touch works for me 90% of the time but some steaks just cook differently! cake testers are perfect because you are actually feeling what the heat level is like inside.

I used to show new guys with my fist. Gently closed my hand just into a fist and touched the fleshy point between my thumb and forefinger. Feels like rare. Gave my fist a gentle squeeze and touched the same spot for medium rare. Squeezed progressively harder for medium and medium well. Had'm touch the back of my hand or I tapped them on the forehead for well done. They seemed to get the idea.