Quantcast
suji vs gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: suji vs gyuto

gyuto here. the thought going through butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a suji makes me cringe a bit. I'm a home cook with questionable knife skills though

I sharpen my gyuto much more conservatively than the sujihiki which has almost no board contact. I would have to give up some performance with the sujihiki if I used it for general tasks.

Cleaver or Kiristsuke for me. My CCK large is my goto line knife. But then again, I run the cold side during service.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Last place I worked the Chef de Cuisine and Head Chef in a place that uses poor house knives thought it would be OK to grab my Carter 7.1 Sun and use it as a slicer during service, then leave it in a deep three-pan water bath when not being used. Let's just say, "George was getting upset!"

Easy gyutohiki from Mario the knife profile is amazing and can literally do every job well.

I may add I want my gyuto to have a nicely polished edge, while I prefer a toothy sujihiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I like a hybrid of sorts, like Masamoto, Mario, et el.
    Starting to really agree with this

GravyPower

what the deuce?? you didn't stop them? I slap a man who disrespect my kids

My Fowler suji is tall enough to do it all. I really like the hybrid too, but still use my gyuto's most of the time

I use a standard size/profile gyuto nowadays for the majority of prep work. The suji is really just for typical protien fabrication and slicing jobs. I have an OLD Masahiro gyuto that been sharpened down to a very "gyuto-hiki" type profile, about 42-43mm at the heel. I use it at home a lot, and I do find the hybrid profile very easy to use.

If I went back to a restaurant job I'd strongly consider ordering a hybrid knife like this. I think it'd be a great shape to keep out on the expo table.