suji vs gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
which do you guys rather use for most of your work in the kitchen and why?

Gyuto for me...maybe my lack of skills, but I like the extra board clearance.

Gyuto. Preferably one with a taller profile. Personal preference, since I like the feel of a taller profile and I like to scoop my food off the board rather than scrape it off the board - a habit formed from using cleavers.

I like em both and use them interchangeably. I have 2 gyutos for every suji I have, but I started stockpiling gyutos before sujis. Since my Marko and Yosihide sujis though, I have been using sujis way more frequently recently. I think its partially because I like 270mm length blades, which in a gyuto can make for a lot of knife, while the sujis are a little more compact on the line.

I generally use them for very different tasks. The suji more for protein fabrication and portioning. It also sees a lot of use for slicing the finished proteins. Gyutou gets used for most everything else. For my workload, gyuto 80%, Suji 15%, Deba and other blades 5%.

I like a hybrid of sorts, like Masamoto, Mario, et el.

i dont even own a suji, but a curvy mac pro slicer which i NEVER use. gyuto probably 90% of all my work, 5% petty and 5% parer and bread knife for breads obviously.

I really only use the suji for slicing or portioning.

suji & gyuto are total opposite to me. I like my gyuto wide with little weight, thin behind edge with micro bevel and the suji I like it narrow, very thin & Lightweight with no micro bevel! I use gyuto most of time; suji mainly for slicing only .....

gyuto here. the thought going through butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a suji makes me cringe a bit. I'm a home cook with questionable knife skills though

I sharpen my gyuto much more conservatively than the sujihiki which has almost no board contact. I would have to give up some performance with the sujihiki if I used it for general tasks.

Cleaver or Kiristsuke for me. My CCK large is my goto line knife. But then again, I run the cold side during service.

Last place I worked the Chef de Cuisine and Head Chef in a place that uses poor house knives thought it would be OK to grab my Carter 7.1 Sun and use it as a slicer during service, then leave it in a deep three-pan water bath when not being used. Let's just say, "George was getting upset!"

Easy gyutohiki from Mario the knife profile is amazing and can literally do every job well.

GravyPower

what the deuce?? you didn't stop them? I slap a man who disrespect my kids

My Fowler suji is tall enough to do it all. I really like the hybrid too, but still use my gyuto's most of the time

I use a standard size/profile gyuto nowadays for the majority of prep work. The suji is really just for typical protien fabrication and slicing jobs. I have an OLD Masahiro gyuto that been sharpened down to a very "gyuto-hiki" type profile, about 42-43mm at the heel. I use it at home a lot, and I do find the hybrid profile very easy to use.

If I went back to a restaurant job I'd strongly consider ordering a hybrid knife like this. I think it'd be a great shape to keep out on the expo table.

Back