Quantcast
Stagiaire - Success, Failure and what not... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stagiaire - Success, Failure and what not...

The offer is still open. Just not a fan of dancin, if ya know what I mean. Pick a freakin week and bite the bullit.

Although I have a pre-planned 30 day "vacation" coming up which I hope to squeeze in before summer.

"a head on your shoulders will help you to be able to handle people in the kitchen who are let's just say less than ideal in terms of personality" .......this made me chuckle.

this made me chuckle.

As a stage expect to do the least complicated work, what they would call the B**H work. But keep your eyes open and learn at every opportunity. My best opinion is to get a stage at the best restaurant that will take you. Expect to work hard for little to no money for weeks. You probably won't get a job offer at a lot of high end places so early in your career but you will learn how to be a clean and efficient cook and you will probably see a lot more in a short period of time at one of these places than you ever will at a lower level restaurant.

I am currently a culinary student and I did an extended stage (externship) at COI in San Francisco. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was there as a stage for a little over 5 months. I worked long hard hours that I will never forget. I opened the restaurant up at 7:30am or 8am every day and would usually finish my closing duties by 11pm. I did everything from pick seaweeds, juice citrus, make family meal, pick herbs, tend plant and pick our micro-green garden, peel fresh yuzu and make yuzu koshu and yuzu-panettone with our pastry chef, make beet roses, clean garbage cans, fold linens, forage with our chef de cuisine, scrub floors, and I was even a dishwasher for two nights and all of these things have made me a better person and cook. I went in with an open mind and expected to do grunt work and that is what I started doing, but I showed promise and by the end of the experience I was doing things that I never could have imagined.
    The best advise I received on this stage was to write everything down. Write down ideas, recipes, methods, ingredient names, peoples names, each tool in the kitchen and a description, ideas on how to become faster, conversations that you have with people, write it all down no matter how inconsequential you think it is, WRITE IT DOWN. It shows you care and after a year or so when you want to remember how they made that killer dish you can look back at your notes and re-create it yourself.

I stage regularly with whichever restaurant does what I feel is a gap in my knowledge. For example, I'm heading down to a well known London restaurant that cooks only with wood fire, and last summer I went to the UKs best restaurant to suss out their extensive foraging system. It's the same way I buy books; be specific.

Burnt Enz?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I walked the streets of Paris, knocking on doors and talking (with a truly pitiful but respectful French) with chefs until one said yes.

Actually two said yes, and took the job that paid 7 franc/day. That was about a dollar in 1984, enough for the metro home and a 'demi'

When the truffle purveyor came in and we tasted fresh winter truffles from a wooden basket I knew it was the right choice!

-Michael

We get stage's every other day fresh from/still in school. I second everyone that's stressed technique. SO many high end kitchens cryovac everything and drop it into the circulator. While it's not a horrible way to turn out food, lots of new cooks depend on them too much. Classic technique will take you far. Monkeys can sous vide apples. It takes a cook to glacé those for service. Technique, technique, technique! Plus, in super high end kitchens like mine, the chef/owner (the one with all of the awards) rarely spends much time in the kitchen.
    Cassoulet, like life itself, isn't as easy as it seems...

+ Reply to Thread