Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another help me find a knife thread !

I'd choose a Suisin INOX over the CarboNext. I just compared them side by side last weekend and, overall performance-wise, the Suisin is superior in my opinion. It' slices vertically and laterally/horizontally much better over the length of the blade, with less resistance and wedging than the CarboNext. Both have comparable food release, i.e. food does stick to both. But, it's also thinner, but stiff and sturdy, more balanced in hand, and if the OP is a lefty, the grind is much more favorable for a lefty from what I saw because my CarboNext has a very right-hand biased grind - it's convexed on the right side but, AFAICT, it's flat on the left. The edge bevel, however, for the regular sharpened knife is close to 50/50.

But, if the OP likes a more sturdy/solid feeling knife with heft, I would choose the CarboNext. And, despite my preference for the Suisin, the CarboNext is a really good knife for the price. I can think of a several other knives that I would not choose over the CarboNext that are more expensive. (I can't give an opinion as to ultimate sharpness or edge retention as I haven't used them over an extended period of time yet.)
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Good post Mike.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

This might be an odd question, but what would you actually 'value', say a 240mm CN gyuto at?

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    This might be an odd question, but what would you actually 'value', say a 240mm CN gyuto at?
    I'm assuming that this was directed to me so I'll respond.

First, I think it's hard to "value" or put a price on any knife because so much of what makes a knife personal is unique to the individual. (I personally prefer thinner knives that are stiff, smooth cutting without wedging, with good balance over the length of the knife so I value these types of knives higher.) Also, it's difficult to "value" hand made knives versus machine made/factory made knives because there are inconsistencies with hand made knives and some knives made by the same maker that are of similar specifications, may perform differently, with one being superior to another, e.g., Carter knives. That being said, I do believe that some knives are good values for the money, while others are simply overpriced for what is charged.

Compared to other knives that I have used in the $100 to $200 range, which, admittedly, is not that many (I'm working on this), I found the CarboNext to be a very good performer for the price, and a great value before trying the Suisin. I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase it if it were $150. However, if it were closer to $200, i.e. greater than $175, I would think twice about buying it as there are a number of noticeably better quality and/or better performing knives in the $200 range, like the Gesshin Kagero and Ginga. (At that price, I would also still consider a small Carter SFGZ.)

But, because the Suisin is comparably priced, I can't say the CarboNext is necessarily a "great" value now. But, because it's still less expensive than the Suisin, it is certainly a good value. To me, it's more that other knives that are similarly priced are too expensive for what they are.

I hope this answers your question.
    Michael

Have you considered any other knives from any other vendors? I would do some more research and have a list of knives I would be considering which would lead to better advice.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    A dazzling number of knives at the Shun price range of $150-$200. At this price, I'd seriously consider the Gesshin Uraku. But I really like wa handles, and it comes with a saya. Not aesthetically pleasing as a Premier but it'll be a better knife in the kitchen.

Rehandled knife will break your budget, though you can pick up some really nice deals on the BST threads.
    +1 the Gesshin Uraku is much better than the Shun.People get drawn to the surface decoration bling of the shuns,if the knife is used alot it does not look so great down the line.

Really appreciate all the replies. very interesting and informative!

So far, in an unscientific survey we have 4 votes for the Gesshin Uraku or Kagero, 3 votes for a Suisin and about 1 for a carbonext and hattori hd. Seems like Gesshin and Suisin are the favs in this price range.

Basically I want a knife that can do this (especially the no touch horizontal tomato slice!):

PS: I bought a shun premier from Don based on this thread for a good price so still looking for the next upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Really appreciate all the replies. very interesting and informative!

So far, in an unscientific survey we have 4 votes for the Gesshin Uraku or Kagero, 3 votes for a Suisin and about 1 for a carbonext and hattori hd. Seems like Gesshin and Suisin are the favs in this price range.

Basically I want a knife that can do this (especially the no touch horizontal tomato slice!):
    If so, then you better shift your funds toward stones rather than knives and practice sharpening A LOT.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    If so, then you better shift your funds toward stones rather than knives and practice sharpening A LOT.
    Echo that. Your looking at a guy with literally, one of the best knife collections in the world, and years and years of practice of sharpening them. He also runs a pretty decent restaurant. I've wanted to stage with him and he's been very accomodating, but the timing has never worked on my end.

double echo...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right