Quantcast
Another help me find a knife thread ! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another help me find a knife thread !

If you're not dead set on western handle, I HIGHLY recommend the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus. Check it out (there are a couple videos as well I believe on another site). Ridiculously sharp, holds its edge forever, and looks pretty damn sexy after a patina forms

Chris
    Last edited by sharkbite111; 03-17-2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: correct tense/grammar

basically I want a knife that can do this (especially the no touch horizontal tomato slice!):
    learning to sharpen can lead to a knife that can do that. it takes years and years to find out what knife you really wanna settle on. it's a long process.

=D

If I end up with a nice Gesshin, Sussin or god forbid Shun and send it out to a master sharpener such as Dave here, would it be able to perform the no-touch-horizontal-tomato-slice ?

@sharkbite111 I like that tanaka a lot!

yes
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    If I end up with a nice Gesshin, Sussin or god forbid Shun and send it out to a master sharpener such as Dave here, would it be able to perform the no-touch-horizontal-tomato-slice ?

@sharkbite111 I like that tanaka a lot!
    Maybe. In my experience, and perhaps Dave can add his thoughts here, most sharpeners aren't gunning for this kind of sharpness. It's time consuming and this kind of edge will not last.

Is there a reason why you are so concerned with this kind of sharpness? I've talked with someone who can reach this level of sharpness and, according to this person, as soon as you hit a cutting board with this edge, that sharpness is pretty much gone. So you're regularly will to spend $40 or so and you get a few seconds of this? (FWIW, I've never been able to get knives this sharp, but I also don't care to do so - it's not my goal when sharpening.)
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Maybe. In my experience, and perhaps Dave can add his thoughts here, most sharpeners aren't gunning for this kind of sharpness. It's time consuming and this kind of edge will not last.

Is there a reason why you are so concerned with this kind of sharpness? I've talked with someone who can reach this level of sharpness and, according to this person, as soon as you hit a cutting board with this edge, that sharpness is pretty much gone. So you're regularly will to spend $40 or so and you get a few seconds of this? (FWIW, I've never been able to get knives this sharp, but I also don't care to do so - it's not my goal when sharpening.)
    So suppose one gets this level of sharpness and takes a super fine stone and microbevels the end a few degrees higher. Would the knife stay scary sharp longer?

(I get my knives pretty sharp - easily slice tomatoes with the weight of the knife - pull and push - but not *that* sharp, and then the microbevel I put on lets me keep it happy for a long time with an occasional(!) stroke of my 2k dmt ceramic...)

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post

Is there a reason why you are so concerned with this kind of sharpness?
    I didnt realize that level of sharpness was so difficult and temporary. Good to know.. Guess Im looking to get to that level just for the badassery of it

I didnt realize that level of sharpness was so difficult and temporary. Good to know.. Guess Im looking to get to that level just for the badassery of it
    practically any good knife that gets suggested on here is capable of doing that. =D

(Ikeda) Akifusa