Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How do you decide that you've reached the ultimate sharpness a particular blade can attain?

either you ground the edge too thin (which is not what i think based on this thread) or that knife has issues

yeah. send that thing back. sheesh. talk about mass production quality control--a knife that didn't even get rubbed before it shipped.

That's not a finish issue, that's a defect issue. I've had a Global G-2 for close to ten years and it has not had a significant chip once.

That steel is so friggin tough (which is why it's a PITA to sharpen well). I've used it to chop/hack through all kinds of chicken bones, fish bones, cartilage, etc., and it's survived them all. It's even gone through a old plastic/fiberglass countertop. No chips in the edge like you're talking about.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I didn't know that... How do you tell if it is a real global?
    ...from a couple of Google articles....where'd you buy it and how much did you pay - big discounts and auction buys are one indicator. Block sets and /or chef roll's are another. The Dimples - real Globals use a dark color metal for the dimples, not paint, the logo's should be etched, not painted, and apparently Gobal Professional was only sold in Japan...but google it for for info.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    ...from a couple of Google articles....where'd you buy it and how much did you pay - big discounts and auction buys are one indicator. Block sets and /or chef roll's are another. The Dimples - real Globals use a dark color metal for the dimples, not paint, the logo's should be etched, not painted, and apparently Gobal Professional was only sold in Japan...but google it for for info.
    I have to deal with making sure sneakers arent fake...now I have to make sure my knives arent either! Yeesh!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I've seen quite a few fake globals and it's quite easy to tell if you've ever used a genuine one, they look wrong, the steel has a different shine to it, the handle finish is dodgy, they just feel wrong.

The chipping may have been caused by small cracks near the edge from misuse, that as you thinned the edge from sharpening weakened it enough to chip? Just a theory.....

I've had it happen a few times to Globals. My guess has been that it was the result of a small dent or deformation that because of the steel's toughness didn't chip out immediately, but wore thin once sharpened into.

That's a bunch of reasons to consider. I think curtis's reason may come pretty close to the truth, although maybe it was also due to bad QC on this particular shipment.

I just sharpened up two defunct globals thanks to this thread... and the 'flexible' utility knife ate my fourth finger on my left hand. Sheet, it tingles as i type this.

The 20cm chef and the petty (in this forum's speak) both were kinda weird on my choseras.

I had these strange particles in the swarf, like tiny grits. Sounded awful on chosera stones too, usually there is a very pleasant sound when I go to it. Very scratchy sounding. But in the end, other than a few scuffs I made due to my inconsistent angles, nothing came off. And I was fixing a rolled edge at one point of the chef - My friend's mother used it for a while on loan, I think she must have chopped at a chicken pretty vigorously. Still didn't chip off. The edge realigned after some time on the stones.

Quite sharp edge too, just not as satisfying as sharpening a nice carbon blade.

I have a Global 18cm chef's and I have got it pretty damn sharp, if I do say so myself. It's just that the geometry sucks - it's fat. And I never use it, it's in my knife bag on the shelf up high. lol

But I have the 15cm flexible utility and I like it as a pineapple or mango knife. Very very thin.