Korin Customer Service

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to take this opportunity to extend a belated thank you to the very friendly staff of Korin. During the NY food show I met up with Son and afterwards he myself and my lead saute cook Kevin headed down to Korin. We were greeted with warm smiles by Vincent, Mari and her family. We walked around the shop looking at all the beautiful wares while Mr. Sugai and Vincent were diligently repairing and sharpening customers blades on the giant grinding wheel and at the sharpening station. Mari wouldn't let Vincent have anything to eat while he was at the sharpening station so we had to slip him some cookies when she wasn't looking the poor little guy.

Mari then told us Mr. Sugai would like us to join him in the basement to watch him fix a couple of blades. This was gonna be sweet! So we follow Vincent and her downstairs past the packaging and shipping section to a spot where Mr. Sugai is working a Yanagi with a 4" belt grinder preparing it for the finishing work back upstairs. He explains the process while he works, fixing chips, flattening the blade road, changing belts all the way up to a scotch bright belt that he uses to polish the ura. Vincent and I are talking about the other power tools they have and the various wheel stones they use etc.. just super geeking out about grit ranges, natural stones, sharpening techniques, all kinds of fun stuff, it was great. We start to head back upstairs when I ask the fellow whose knife was being fixed, "Hey, who's the maker of that blade?" His response was, "It's uh Japanese one." Haha kinda funny.

So back upstairs now we discuss the topic of lunch and Son asks Mari what's the name of that place her dad likes. Her response is, "Oh I'll just take you guys there, let me get my coat." OK great! This is by far the best customer service I have ever received in any store anywhere ever. So good in fact, I forgot that I was in a store and felt like I was visiting with old friends and totally forgot to buy something!

We said goodbye to Mr. Sugai and Vincent then Mari walked with us a few blocks up the street to the restaurant. Apparently they have some really good noodles at this place which is great because I've been craving some good noodles all day! We said goodbye and as we opened the door to the restaurant a woman outside jumps up and shouts, "No, sorry we're closed until 5:30!" Thanks Mari. Just kidding, it was the thought that counts. We ended up heading down to Udon West on St. Marks Pl. so I still got my noodles.

Anyway I just wanted to say what a great time I had at the shop and thank you for being such a gracious hostess. It was very nice meeting you again for the second time and the next time I stop in I'll remember to buy something.

Here is the video I took 2 years ago for anyone who hasn't seen how beautiful the shop is. Enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;l22Va6YnfQc]http://youtu.be/l22Va6YnfQc[/video]

Thanks for sharing Rick. Every time I hear of Korin's customer service, it's always fantastic.

One of these days I'll have to travel and visit there.

I would like to take this opportunity to extend a belated thank you to the very friendly staff of Korin. During the NY food show I met up with Son and afterwards he myself and my lead saute cook Kevin headed down to Korin. We were greeted with warm smiles by Vincent, Mari and her family. We walked around the shop looking at all the beautiful wares while Mr. Sugai and Vincent were diligently repairing and sharpening customers blades on the giant grinding wheel and at the sharpening station. Mari wouldn't let Vincent have anything to eat while he was at the sharpening station so we had to slip him some cookies when she wasn't looking the poor little guy.

Mari then told us Mr. Sugai would like us to join him in the basement to watch him fix a couple of blades. This was gonna be sweet! So we follow Vincent and her downstairs past the packaging and shipping section to a spot where Mr. Sugai is working a Yanagi with a 4" belt grinder preparing it for the finishing work back upstairs. He explains the process while he works, fixing chips, flattening the blade road, changing belts all the way up to a scotch bright belt that he uses to polish the ura. Vincent and I are talking about the other power tools they have and the various wheel stones they use etc.. just super geeking out about grit ranges, natural stones, sharpening techniques, all kinds of fun stuff, it was great. We start to head back upstairs when I ask the fellow whose knife was being fixed, "Hey, who's the maker of that blade?" His response was, "It's uh Japanese one." Haha kinda funny.

So back upstairs now we discuss the topic of lunch and Son asks Mari what's the name of that place her dad likes. Her response is, "Oh I'll just take you guys there, let me get my coat." OK great! This is by far the best customer service I have ever received in any store anywhere ever. So good in fact, I forgot that I was in a store and felt like I was visiting with old friends and totally forgot to buy something!

We said goodbye to Mr. Sugai and Vincent then Mari walked with us a few blocks up the street to the restaurant. Apparently they have some really good noodles at this place which is great because I've been craving some good noodles all day! We said goodbye and as we opened the door to the restaurant a woman outside jumps up and shouts, "No, sorry we're closed until 5:30!" Thanks Mari. Just kidding, it was the thought that counts. We ended up heading down to Udon West on St. Marks Pl. so I still got my noodles.

Anyway I just wanted to say what a great time I had at the shop and thank you for being such a gracious hostess. It was very nice meeting you again for the second time and the next time I stop in I'll remember to buy something.

Here is the video I took 2 years ago for anyone who hasn't seen how beautiful the shop is. Enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;l22Va6YnfQc]http://youtu.be/l22Va6YnfQc[/video]

Thanks Mari.
Please tell your mother I'm sorry we didn't get to say goodbye to her. I look forward to visiting again.

Thank you so much for such a kind review! It was wonderful meeting you guys and it meant so much to me that you stopped by. It took me a moment to realize what was going on, because I wasn't expecting anyone to come. LOLOL

BAH! Yes, next time though! It's super good udon noodles, so next time! Thanks for posting the youtube video. I've seen this one before, but I didn't realize you made it. :D

I hope you guys stop by again soon. :)

By the way, I knew I should have put a "Please do not feed the sharpeners" sign up next to Vincent. I think people just want to give them something, because they're sitting there. My dad once he had an empty cup of coffee next to him, and people kept trying tip him. He was grateful, but he was chasing people to give them their tip back. LOL

korin's service is awesome! before, during and after service.....

This is a bit late, but in the spirit of this thread...
Back in December I ordered a few knives from Korin while they were running their sale.
I scored some knives that were outta my budget if not for the sale.
There was a slight hiccup on the shipping which wasn't a big deal but Mari who I had great correspondence with took care of it right away and on top of that she sent me a combo stone as a gift. This was my first time ordering from Korin and it was really great being able to speak directly with someone through the forum and email about what I was interested in picking up. Kudos to Mari on great customer service and thank you so much for my knives and stone!

My buddy was just in New York for a stage and had very good things to say about Yuesi, FYI.

You guys should have stopped next door at the Raccoon Lodge for a few beers! That place is always interesting.

You know... In all of the years Korin has been open in Tribecca, I have never stepped into the Raccoon Lodge. lol

Thanks for the great reviews guy! I'm so happy to read all of these kind words. :D

Back