Quantcast
Gesshin Ginga vs. Sakai Yusuke Ks clone - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Ginga vs. Sakai Yusuke Ks clone

Thanks for the responses everybody. I think I want to go with the yusuke. What is the best way to procure one of these knives? Do I need to custom order it from bluewayjapan? Or will they be coming back in stock on his ebay store?

Mucho when that blade comes in,let us know how you like it & some pics.

Mucho when that blade comes in,let us know how you like it & some pics.
    +1 =D

isnt it strange that the flatter profile gyuto has the same spine thickness in 210, 240 and 270 lengths? all three at 2.8mm thickness?

Labot I don't think its that strange. I'm not a knifesmith but I think they start out with 3.0 stock then grind the profile accordingly. besides they're all distal tapered so eventhough they start at 2.8mm, the profile is ground according to the length. I'm assuming.

Even my 240 white #2 special thin 1.6mm at heel has a distal tapered grind. Its a very fun knife but the patina on it looks like crap and I haven't gotten around to sanding it off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    isnt it strange that the flatter profile gyuto has the same spine thickness in 210, 240 and 270 lengths? all three at 2.8mm thickness?
    Yusuke's standard thickness is around 2.2mm. I had mine made as thick as they could w/ the 3.0mm stock. Some of the smaller knives are thinner - I think my 210 white #2 suji is around 2.0mm above the heel. I think Keiichi has offered the flatter profile in both 2.2 and 2.8. I have only seen the 240 versions available on his store, and there have only been a couple. It does look like the new knives he's offered lately have the flatter profile, but someone else talked to him and he said they are the original profile. They look different to me, but not quite the KS clone shape.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

i dont mean to split hairs here but in the standard line the 270mm spine is actually 2.4mm and the 240mm and 210mm are both 2.2mmm thick at the spine. im not complaining at all. my only point was that usually within a knife series, the shorter the blade the thinner the spine. just an observation!

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Labot I don't think its that strange. I'm not a knifesmith but I think they start out with 3.0 stock then grind the profile accordingly. besides they're all distal tapered so eventhough they start at 2.8mm, the profile is ground according to the length. I'm assuming.

Even my 240 white #2 special thin 1.6mm at heel has a distal tapered grind. Its a very fun knife but the patina on it looks like crap and I haven't gotten around to sanding it off yet.
    My thin carbons at work just let patina cutting all kinds fruits,veg. & meats wt. out bone.Worked back of the house,can see how stainless is better cutting in front of the public.In Chinatown they don't care cut up all that char su pork & Duck wt. carbon cleavers.

I too have the special thin it's my go to knife at home,stay away fr.hard stuff,bones, squash etc.Fruits,veg.,& meats.Inclu. Tomatos,lemons,pineapple.Some times I use a damp rag on my boardsmith to wipe the blade & of coarse I just let the patina go

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    . It does look like the new knives he's offered lately have the flatter profile, but someone else talked to him and he said they are the original profile. They look different to me, but not quite the KS clone shape.
    theyre certainly not the ks clone shape. just comparing the photos of the newer yusukes to the photos in your review, id say theyre pretty far apart.

how stiff is the 2.2mm blade? hate flex in knives.

+ Reply to Thread