Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who can't afford the big green egg.

For those of you who can't afford the big green egg.

I saw this and thought some of you guys might be interested. It is a hell of a price and looks like a well constructed piece.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=969633
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Is that a cat incinerator??

Costco has a pretty good looking copy of the egg this year in the stores too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Is that a cat incinerator??
    Nope - you can control the temperature so they come out crispy on outside and juicy on the inside.

I want to be a "true*grill master, an expert chef and a skilled baker"!!!

I actually came close to getting one of these for ma birthday...

I screwed up last fall and didn't take the last one at costco on clearance for $450. I am not in love with the top on the costco "Vision" compared to what this looks like or the egg but from what I have seen on the kamado forums, there are really no cooking temp issues caused by the difference. I will have to see if I can find one of these around here to check it out. I have a neighbor with a BGE that has offered it up anytime I would like to use it too, but ya just gotta have your own.

After watching Alton Brown use a terra cotta pot I am less inclined now to jump on this bandwagon.

-AJ

I got one of these last year and could not be happier. I even put it on my front porch and used it all through the Maine winter. It will easily pin the 700 degree thermometer on full blast or hold low and slow 200 for hours on end with little to no adjustment. Also it is made of steel, so there is not ceramic to potentially crack.

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-1...griller+kamado

Not really much of a bargain once you add freight IMO. A large BGE with nest, tables and all the goodies runs $900+. I'm not sure I'd ever roll the dice to save $200 but if I did I'd surely buy a Grill Dome. The extra $200 for a large BGE costs is money well spent on a company with a lifetime warranty and top notch customer service. BGE has been around since the early 70's. The Costco one has had problems with the domes cracking but at least with Costco they have a great return policy so probably not much to worry about. If you really need to save $$$ on a BGE buy one after an eggfest.
    I'd say a ceramic cooker is the by far best cooking tool I've ever bought. I cracked the base on mine a few years ago (My BGE is 7 years old) and BGE sent a replacement to the dealer toot sweet. No charge for freight, no hassle.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Engorged Member
    I'll stick with the Egg and recommend it to anyone who'll listen. The eggs are fairly bulletproof. I can get replacement parts in 20 years. These, I don't know. The customer service from BGE is also second to none. I needed some replacement screws for my egg mates I had lost during a move and while talking to the guy mentioned that one of the pieces of wood had a knot in it. He not only sent me the screws that I asked for but also new egg mates. Is saving $200 worth it? I'm with Duckfat on this one.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."