Quantcast
normal counter height
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: normal counter height

normal counter height

It's maybe an odd question, but does anybody know if there is a conventional counter height - in homes, or in restaurants? This makes a difference if you cook a lot, especially if it's your job, and if your board and cutting surface are at the best level for you.

I am a bit tall and am looking forward to my new higher board which is on order.

Engorged Member
    36"
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    36"
    +1 (not inches)
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Engorged Member
    91.5cm
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

I believe standard cabinet height is 36", but the total height would be that plus the thickness of your countertop surface. The normal range for that would be an additional .5 -1.5"
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post

I am a bit tall and am looking forward to my new higher board which is on order.
    A simple trick for all you tall people: just widen your stance and that will bring your shoulders, arms and hands a couple of inches lower and that little bit can make a big difference.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    I believe standard cabinet height is 36", but the total height would be that plus the thickness of your countertop surface. The normal range for that would be an additional .5 -1.5"
    36" is the average height w/ countertop material.

I got tired of hunching during prep, pasta making, etc. so when we redid the kitchen I had some base cabinets custom built slightly taller than standard. For my prep section of counters, I upped mine a few inches, and then did a custom boos end grain countertop for my prep area on top of the heightened cabinet base. Makes for a much more comfortable workspace and requires much less hunching and slouching (for me). Fun to work on such a big cutting area!

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    36" is the average height w/ countertop material.
    Might be different in the US (Most things are), but in the UK domestic kitchen units are 910mm high in order to accommodate standard 900mm high white goods (dishwashers, fridge, washer etc), underneath the countertop. The countertop ranges from 20mm for granite to 50mm for solid wood worktop. I have no idea about commercial kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    A simple trick for all you tall people: just widen your stance and that will bring your shoulders, arms and hands a couple of inches lower and that little bit can make a big difference.
    +1 to this.
    I worked with a guy who was probably 6-6, and he'd stand there with his feet spread WAY apart to avoid hunching over all day and wrecking his back. I'm not anywhere close to having this problem, bu I suggest the spread eagle stance to tall students all the time.

+ Reply to Thread