normal counter height

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's maybe an odd question, but does anybody know if there is a conventional counter height - in homes, or in restaurants? This makes a difference if you cook a lot, especially if it's your job, and if your board and cutting surface are at the best level for you.

I am a bit tall and am looking forward to my new higher board which is on order.

I believe standard cabinet height is 36", but the total height would be that plus the thickness of your countertop surface. The normal range for that would be an additional .5 -1.5"

I am a bit tall and am looking forward to my new higher board which is on order.

A simple trick for all you tall people: just widen your stance and that will bring your shoulders, arms and hands a couple of inches lower and that little bit can make a big difference.

I believe standard cabinet height is 36", but the total height would be that plus the thickness of your countertop surface. The normal range for that would be an additional .5 -1.5"

36" is the average height w/ countertop material.

I got tired of hunching during prep, pasta making, etc. so when we redid the kitchen I had some base cabinets custom built slightly taller than standard. For my prep section of counters, I upped mine a few inches, and then did a custom boos end grain countertop for my prep area on top of the heightened cabinet base. Makes for a much more comfortable workspace and requires much less hunching and slouching (for me). Fun to work on such a big cutting area!

36" is the average height w/ countertop material.
Might be different in the US (Most things are), but in the UK domestic kitchen units are 910mm high in order to accommodate standard 900mm high white goods (dishwashers, fridge, washer etc), underneath the countertop. The countertop ranges from 20mm for granite to 50mm for solid wood worktop. I have no idea about commercial kitchens.

A simple trick for all you tall people: just widen your stance and that will bring your shoulders, arms and hands a couple of inches lower and that little bit can make a big difference.

+1 to this.
I worked with a guy who was probably 6-6, and he'd stand there with his feet spread WAY apart to avoid hunching over all day and wrecking his back. I'm not anywhere close to having this problem, bu I suggest the spread eagle stance to tall students all the time.

Is this thread stuck in everyone else's "new posts" list??

Latest posts

Back