looking to buy a new gyuto- need advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbone

Reaction score
so im in the market for a new 240mm gyuto. im looking for somethign with a long flatspot and narrow profile for precision work. knives that interest me while researching knives of that profile are massamoto KS, takeda sasanoha, sakai yuske, http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanW1Series.html, im open to any suggestions of knives that i havent listed (im sure there are plenty ive never heard of) if anyone has tried any of them and would like to share their experience that would be great too (i know the massamoto ks is very popular on these forums)

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
240mm gyuto- long flat profile w/ narrow tip much like massamoto ks
Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
not replacing anything really, want to try something new and this type of profile has been catching my eye lately
What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- important
Edge Quality/Retention- very important
Ease of Use- important, though im sure i will adjust overtime like most knife purchases
Comfort- important

What grip do you use? depends on what im working with but typically pinch grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use? chop/ push cut, rocking for low cuts

Where do you store them? cardboard/ ducktape saya inside a knife roll

Have you ever oiled a handle? no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? thick wood boards (not sure what kind of wood), plastic ones if theyre all being used

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? whetstones

Have they ever been sharpened? yes

What is your budget? 400

What do you cook and how often? large variety of veg, boneless chicken/veg and beef for tartare

sounds like you answerd your question get a masamoto ks

What is it that makes the KS such a highly rated knife?

check salty's videos on youtube about his masamoto ks....

closest thing to a sab profile in a japanese laser gyuto

Back