Quantcast
Do People Really Need a Watermelon Knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do People Really Need a Watermelon Knife?

Do People Really Need a Watermelon Knife?

So I saw that kuhn rikon offers a watermelon knife.

At first I did the what-the-F shake of the head, but then I also noticed aframestokyo sells a Japanese watermelon knife. Doh.

watermelon knife

The latter knife is $100 and at least could be used on other large veggies, but I would have to eat a boatload of watermelon before a bought a dedicated melon knife.

Does anyone have this knife?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Yep.

Did I ever use it? Aeh - no. It's to large to be kept around the knife block and by the time I get it out of the closet, I have cut up things with a slicer or a gyuto... But it sure looks nice

Stefan

All knifenuts have thought about buyin' a Japanese watermelon knife, no?
    I don't have one yet but I have a 370 suji if I wanna go big.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Yep.

Did I ever use it? Aeh - no. It's to large to be kept around the knife block and by the time I get it out of the closet, I have cut up things with a slicer or a gyuto... But it sure looks nice

Stefan
    Ok, now I got to ask. What type of handle did you put on it?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

You know how sometimes the shoemaker has the worst shoes...? I have rehandled many of my knives (or better: I had Dave do the dirty work ) but several of them have handles with small issues - too nice to throw them out but not good enough to ask for money for them. There are still at least half a dozen wa-handled knives that I haven't rehandled yet, including the melon knife. Maybe some day...

Stefan

I’ve never crossed paths with a watermelon that I couldn’t handle with a chef’s knife. However, a friend of mine grows pumkins and winter melons (some weigh more than 75 lbs) could use a longer version of something like that. He's cutting them with a machete.

Thanks. I really needed to know that there exists another knife that cuts something that I already cut with a different knife because I never knew a specific knife exists.

No no, don't need to explain yourself. I'm sure you meant no harm.

Not here in a forum where everyone is more or less like a recovering alcoholic discussing the latest batch of wines being produced. Thank god it isn't pretty, otherwise I would have even more trouble resisting the urge to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Thanks. I really needed to know that there exists another knife that cuts something that I already cut with a different knife because I never knew a specific knife exists.

No no, don't need to explain yourself. I'm sure you meant no harm.

Not here in a forum where everyone is more or less like a recovering alcoholic discussing the latest batch of wines being produced. Thank god it isn't pretty, otherwise I would have even more trouble resisting the urge to buy it.
    Pretty common in Southeast asia to whack fruits with this.

Erm I usually use a serrated knife haha. I actually wouldn't mind having a dedicated large fruit knife.. especially for watermelons and pineapples.. I just hate cutting up pineapples with anything other then a cheap serrated blade.

Here is my watermelon knife! Blade is 14 inches long! (355mm)

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread