Do People Really Need a Watermelon Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I saw that kuhn rikon offers a watermelon knife.

watermelon_knife.jpg

At first I did the what-the-F shake of the head, but then I also noticed aframestokyo sells a Japanese watermelon knife. Doh.

watermelon knife

The latter knife is $100 and at least could be used on other large veggies, but I would have to eat a boatload of watermelon before a bought a dedicated melon knife.

Does anyone have this knife?

k.

Yep.

Did I ever use it? Aeh - no. It's to large to be kept around the knife block and by the time I get it out of the closet, I have cut up things with a slicer or a gyuto... But it sure looks nice :)

Stefan

All knifenuts have thought about buyin' a Japanese watermelon knife, no?
I don't have one yet but I have a 370 suji if I wanna go big.

Yep.

Did I ever use it? Aeh - no. It's to large to be kept around the knife block and by the time I get it out of the closet, I have cut up things with a slicer or a gyuto... But it sure looks nice :)

Stefan

Ok, now I got to ask. What type of handle did you put on it?

k.

You know how sometimes the shoemaker has the worst shoes...? :wink: I have rehandled many of my knives (or better: I had Dave do the dirty work :razz: ) but several of them have handles with small issues - too nice to throw them out but not good enough to ask for money for them. There are still at least half a dozen wa-handled knives that I haven't rehandled yet, including the melon knife. Maybe some day...

Stefan

I’ve never crossed paths with a watermelon that I couldn’t handle with a chef’s knife. However, a friend of mine grows pumkins and winter melons (some weigh more than 75 lbs) could use a longer version of something like that. He's cutting them with a machete.

Thanks. I really needed to know that there exists another knife that cuts something that I already cut with a different knife because I never knew a specific knife exists.

No no, don't need to explain yourself. I'm sure you meant no harm.

Not here in a forum where everyone is more or less like a recovering alcoholic discussing the latest batch of wines being produced. Thank god it isn't pretty, otherwise I would have even more trouble resisting the urge to buy it.

Thanks. I really needed to know that there exists another knife that cuts something that I already cut with a different knife because I never knew a specific knife exists.

No no, don't need to explain yourself. I'm sure you meant no harm.

Not here in a forum where everyone is more or less like a recovering alcoholic discussing the latest batch of wines being produced. Thank god it isn't pretty, otherwise I would have even more trouble resisting the urge to buy it.

Pretty common in Southeast asia to whack fruits with this.

Erm I usually use a serrated knife haha. I actually wouldn't mind having a dedicated large fruit knife.. especially for watermelons and pineapples.. I just hate cutting up pineapples with anything other then a cheap serrated blade.

Here is my watermelon knife! Blade is 14 inches long! (355mm)

PICT0433.JPG

I use a 270 mm TKC gyuto for watermelons. It just barely makes it all the way through most watermelons but they are so easy to cut, I don't feel I need a longer knife.

An old timer sells melons on the side of the road near me, he uses a piece of wire wrapped on two dowels to cut them up.

Everyone need a Suikakiri, you need that to play Suikawari :) Its just as important as a Kanisaki Deba, when having a crab party!

You really need one :)

That red watermelon knife is a gimmick.
But the Japanese one, IIRC, is for grocers and vendors. They have to top and tail the produce before putting it on the rack, and a real polished push cutting edge on a thin, long blade makes life a lot easier, and prevents oxidation and splitting.

Ya, that "knife" is really more of a saw!

You know how sometimes the shoemaker has the worst shoes...? :wink: I have rehandled many of my knives (or better: I had Dave do the dirty work :razz: ) but several of them have handles with small issues - too nice to throw them out but not good enough to ask for money for them. There are still at least half a dozen wa-handled knives that I haven't rehandled yet, including the melon knife. Maybe some day...

Stefan

Lol our tastes are so similar you always tell me you were thinking about keeping it... I bet I have a couple handles of yours you might even buy back ;)

+1.

You could make that knife from a $15 saw, but why would you? Old Hickory, anyone?

Because when customers are in your watermelon store they would like to see clean knives. Carbon as we all know rusts or gets colored by patina. If customers think you cut the melons with a dirty knife, they´ll never come back.

Im jumping this deal when my funds are back up ;)

I think you'd probably get arrested if you bring that around in Singapore.

Yep.

Stefan

That just means you need a bigger block! :razz:

In Sydney or Melbourne, that'd get you Tased or shot on the spot!

Crocodile Dundee would not approve

http://startthinkingright.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/***-emp-thats-a-knife.jpg?w=450&h=258

Back