Quantcast
Attempting my first cutting board - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attempting my first cutting board

If you have a router you can forgo a drum sander. You just need to build a simple jig for flattening the board after glue up.

Power planing and jointing end grain is not advisable IMO. Hard on the knives and your board can explode under the feed rollers. Power hand plane is dangerous too.

Look around for a sign shop that has a CNC router and just pay them to mill it flat and parallel. Same premise as the router jig.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post

joiner? a big electric plane? are you gonna use these?
    I'm renting time in a wood shop...I plan to use a plane to mill the rough stock, not sure if I'll need to use a jointer as well for that, and after the glue ups I guess a drum sander will be the easiest..

Joint before you plane.

Remember the woodworkers acronym: FEWTEL...Flatten on the jointer, square one Edge on the jointer with the flattened side against the fence, rip to Width, plane to Thickness, square one End, and finally cut to Length.

If you have access to a drum sander, go for it; you won't be required to turn in your man card. I flattened my board with a Lie-Nielsen low angle jack plane with a bloody sharp blade and it was still a bugger.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    Here's mine with purpleheart. Put it together with Titebond III and no problems with glue joints so far.

That is one nice looking knife, and board too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    Joint before you plane.

Remember the woodworkers acronym: FEWTEL...Flatten on the jointer, square one Edge on the jointer with the flattened side against the fence, rip to Width, plane to Thickness, square one End, and finally cut to Length.

If you have access to a drum sander, go for it; you won't be required to turn in your man card. I flattened my board with a Lie-Nielsen low angle jack plane with a bloody sharp blade and it was still a bugger.

Good luck!
    What he said

Luckily this wood shop has technicians that show noobies like me how to deal with wood (and keep all digits attached). They basically showed me how to do exactly what Chifunda said. Was a lot of fun.

Now my pieces are ready for my first glue up. I've decided to change the plan a little from the video. I'm making the pattern a little less intricate, and using larger strips (4 strips 3.5" wide and one 1.75"). I've decided that using larger pieces means more wood and less glue joints for my knives to contact. Its also seems like it'll be a little easier to do this way and the resulting pattern will still look cool...I like having the blocks arranged in a brickwork pattern. Looks nice and if things don't line up perfect it won't be as obvious as if all the edges of the blocks match flush.

As you can see I'm planning to put together 2 panels, one with the 1.75 strip being maple, and the other has the skinny strip in walnut. Each panel is big enough to make one board. So when it's time for glue up #2, I can either mix the 2 panels together to give me two similar boards which will each look like this:

or I can use the "more maple pieces" for one board and make the other more walnut, which will look like this:

and this:

Any opinions are welcome...I still have a day or two to decide before I get to glue up#2.

Going back to the shop tomorrow morning for glue up #1, will update as I make progress.

Unless of course y'all feel like this thread belongs on a woodworking forum and you don't want it here...just let me know and I'll post a final pic when I'm finished and leave it at that...

Happy Happy

I really like the last one. It kinda "frames" it in a way.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I really like the last one. It kinda "frames" it in a way.
    +1 It has a symmetry that the other two don't and I like symmetry.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Ok so here's the wood ready to be glued. I'm going in to do the final glue up on wednesday.

Option 1. Two identical boards that each look like this:

Or Option 2 which will give me one of each of the following 2 patterns.
    More walnut:

and more maple:

So far it looks like I'm leaning towards option 2. Thanks for stopping by!

Looking good - option 2 has it going on IMO.

I like numbers 3 and 2, in that order. These are going to be very nice!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread