Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funayuki

I'd say 225 min I have 270 hybrid and love that knife feels like an extension of my hand

on the meat just to clean up those fat like fillet mignon thats why i need a tip...

where can i get a mario knife?

Quote Originally Posted by teppanchef View Post
    yah their not cheap. i need the one with tip for cleaning tendon on the new york steak and fillet...
    Yes as a Teppan chef you are cutting lot's of meat & veg. for the grill.I used a Hiromoto AS Petty worked well for stripping tendon & alot of other things where a tip was needed.For cutting veg. etc. in front of public a good quality stainless knife,the Gesshin's & Sakai Yusuki stainless are good production blades,that sharpen easy & hold a good edge.

What do the other Teppan chef's use?Are they more into single bevel traditional Japanese blades or do they use double bevel as well?

on the grill i use a morimoto knife coz its light... im really want a knife that can do anything for my prep everyday and i just need 1 knife for all of those task...

i dont like cleaning meat with a chefs knife/gyuto. if i were you i would find a 150-180mm petty for meats and also a gyuto for veggies.

thats why im wondering carter funayuki the narrow one looks nice

If your interested in Mario's just pm him on here rrlover is his user name.

Carter's are nice but keep in mind very expensive and do not have great edge retention although still wonderful knives.

I find Mario's hybrid decent for everything really, the other person I know that's making funyakis is Luke Snyder have one coming but have not tested his blades yet.

Most custom makers can do any profile you like btw

If you can use a 165mm instead of a 180mm, then the Zakuri tosagata bocho will meet your needs. I have a Carter Funayuki and the profiles are quite similar. Like the Carter, the Zakuri is sharp and lightweight. And at it's current price point, it's definitely a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    If you can use a 165mm instead of a 180mm, then the Zakuri tosagata bocho will meet your needs. I have a Carter Funayuki and the profiles are quite similar. Like the Carter, the Zakuri is sharp and lightweight. And at it's current price point, it's definitely a bargain.
    a big , this may be the best knife value around if it fits your needs.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right