Quantcast
$1000 popscicle - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $1000 popscicle

Lol yeah I'm sure there might be some out there who would not scoff at a $1k popsicle, but I don't know any of 'em! Fortunately for us, there are many here who would not scoff at your prices Michael. Unfortunately for you, we can't all afford one (or two, or three!) A man of your talent should not be afraid to ask confidently for what you're worth.
    - Sean

Salty. Glad you like it. And, I'll have to make another one of those. Maybe I can auction it off? Should I start at, say, $5000? Let the bidding begin :-)

(Just kidding Dave, don't flush this thread... please.)
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    p.s. you know, while I'm on a mini-rant here, I must say, of any small investment, a knife is really a good one. A bottle of wine gets drank (drunk?) most cars get junked, handbags get torn & worn, Popsicles get licked (by a hot woman - right?)
    Right!
    - Sean

I wasn't sure if this thread was appropriate and might have even put it in the wrong place, but I consider Bob my friend and I want him to be successful. I want other custom kitchen knife makers to be successful and I want to be successful. The other day I had a customer who told me, after ordering a custom 10" Chef knife, that I was crazy for asking what I did and did not place the order. I know it's a lot of money, but this is what I do for a living, so when I find examples of $4000 handbags, $15,000 chairs, $1,000,000 cars and $1000 popsicle, it just makes me feel that I am right where I need to be. And a $233,972 bottle of wine... Yep, I'm good.
    -M

p.s. you know, while I'm on a mini-rant here, I must say, of any small investment, a knife is really a good one. A bottle of wine gets drank (drunk?) most cars get junked, handbags get torn & worn, Popsicles get licked (by a hot woman - right?) but a knife can last a thousand years. Those $12,000+ Kramers will be in the family for generations. Kind of interesting to think about.
    There in lies the rub. True, that knife can last generations......if left unused or rarely used. The art isn't in the knife it's in the function.

Just as art isn't what the artist produces. It's the artist producing.

Hmmm. Good point, I forgot how much you guys like sharpening :-) I find my dull knives spread peanut butter better and that's why I don't like Burke's knives - they take too long to get dull.

(You owe me one, Bill!)
    -M

Yeah, it only retains and grows continuously in value if the product is left untouched for the future owner to enjoy. Like that wine goes back to 1872 I think (i'm lazy to open it up and read it again, please don't hang me)... someone could have drank it prior to today.

Don't hate on the users. Kudos to the people who drive Ferraris in gentleman races, who put their Birkin bags on the floor as they read the papers at the bus stop, who sharpen and strop their kramers, and who drink the damn $233,972 bottles of wine.

After watching Fowler's YouTube videos on making that knife a couple of months back, I feel every custom knife is a value.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I wasn't sure if this thread was appropriate and might have even put it in the wrong place, but I consider Bob my friend and I want him to be successful. I want other custom kitchen knife makers to be successful and I want to be successful. The other day I had a customer who told me, after ordering a custom 10" Chef knife, that I was crazy for asking what I did and did not place the order. I know it's a lot of money, but this is what I do for a living, so when I find examples of $4000 handbags, $15,000 chairs, $1,000,000 cars and $1000 popsicle, it just makes me feel that I am right where I need to be. And a $233,972 bottle of wine... Yep, I'm good.
    -M

p.s. you know, while I'm on a mini-rant here, I must say, of any small investment, a knife is really a good one. A bottle of wine gets drank (drunk?) most cars get junked, handbags get torn & worn, Popsicles get licked (by a hot woman - right?) but a knife can last a thousand years. Those $12,000+ Kramers will be in the family for generations. Kind of interesting to think about.
    I don't think anyone here begrudges Bob for his success. We are talking about buying clones of his knife for near the price that he used to sell his originals for just 5 years ago. I think the displeasure stems from the fact that his target market isn't people like us anymore. How many guys who work in a kitchen for a living can afford a 12K dollar knife or 4k for that matter? The only bad thing about Bob fetching 20K for one of his knives on ebay is the fact that I can't afford it. I guess it sucks to be me. Fortunately, there are really nice knives from really great makers that can be had for a less discriminatory price point.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Buster Warenski GEM OF THE ORIENT $850,000.00

i like this thread...
    the more i learn about the knife making process or the more different knife makers are kind enough to share the process with us... the more respect i have for custom knife makers. i think most people have no conception for what a custom knife can mean.
    imo custom knife makers making kitchen knives gaining popularity works to make all cooks better. most cooks i know are used to yelling out shun or global or blah boring knives everyone owns... even fewer understand how to use stones much less to use them to finish the grind to suit their style... to me the bevel is a personal thing and no matter the maker the edge will become mine as i will use and sharpen my knives according to how i like to use them.
    its been over the past few years but i hear more and more buzz about tryin to understand there can be more.
    talking about dollar values here is silly because most cooks i know... meaning most people i know that use kitchen knives barely understand the $200 price tag for a kitchen knife.