Media Good Eats American Slicer (on Knives)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHL

Reaction score
Just wanted to get in on the Alton Brown hug feast :wink:
[video=youtube_share;MV5ydwB9T4Y]http://youtu.be/MV5ydwB9T4Y[/video]

15:27 "Chopping is kind of tough with a pairing knife.."

Y U NO GYUTO.jpg

Seriously though, it's a semi informational video dumbed down for the masses, but his knife skills need some work. Pepper skins up? I don't know man.

Pepper skins up? I don't know man.

HEh, I thought the same thing.

It was a good video for the 99% of the people that are likely to watch it. Plus...he worked a Nakiri into it, that's gotta be worth a couple of points.

Thanks Mike. I'm a fan of "Good Eats" - the last FN show to try and convey information. But I don't think I'' be doing peppers that way...

Love "Good Eats". Funny, interesting, and well presented. Not much info there for experts, but I guess it's not targeted at experts.
I cut peppers with the skins up. Except when my knife is dull.:biggrin:

I used to like AB and GE. Learned a ton from him. Now he's turned into a pompous ass. He was nicer and funnier when he was chubby.

I cut pepper skin side up because it's easier to get them to sit flat on the board. With skin side down it may be easier to cut through the skin, but then they tend to curl up. You need to sharpen your knives, Rick!

I'm not knocking anyone's knife skills for cutting peppers skin side up. I just find it different so it's weird to me. It's Alton's knife skills which I find to be lacking. Though again, at least he is somewhat educating the unwashed masses.

Why do I feel the urge to punch that guy in the mouth? :bat:

Did anyone else cringe when they heard that Shun yanagi crunching through that crusty roast and then grinding against that terrible composite board???

I wonder who consulted on the piece?
After having done knife classes before I understand the "schtick".
If you're not cutting stuff up every day you're not going to be that skilled. It's easy to lose track of the real message when clouding things up with a knife skills demo.

Giada has to be the worst, she looks like she is about to lop off a finger most times

Chef Klaus - Das Boot - :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I miss watching G. E. quite a few episodes he would talk about the history of food, which you don't get any more. Many times he would also have a chem. class along with what he was making. Which for me if I didn't use what he was talking about made me want to go and experiment with said food. Very inspirational when working with food all day.

Also was wondering were I can get that chest cam set up for myself.

I used to REALLY enjoy the show...but it's become so chock-full of his skits-n-gigs that there's not nearly as much content anymore.

Still...by far the best thing FoodNetwork has in terms of education IMNSHO.

I usually cut peppers skin side up. Never really posed any problem for me.

I do as well. For knives that tend to accordion, this helps the problem. I dunno though, it was how I started, and never felt the need to change. Not so good with a duller knife though.

i do skin side up as well, but with tomatoes specially way ripe ones i do skin side down. meat gets too mushed up.

im with rick on this one, right when i started my apprenticeship i got yelled at harshly many times for cutting peppers skin side up i got told im ******* retarded and that im going to **** my knife up by doing that. and since then i always cut them skin side down and i agree with the chef who yelled at me if you cutting peppers in a professional enviroment and doing bulk amounts it really dulls your knife out cutting against the skin. but thats just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back