I received an email from Mr. Rader...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo.pete

Reaction score
My time has finally come up on his list and my custom boning knife has just been forged. Heat treatment shall commence shortly. :spiteful: This will be my first custom knife, and my first knife purchase in at least a year, to say I am excited is a huge understatement.

forgedo.jpg

Congratulations! A call or email from Mr. Rader is indeed a reason to rejoice! It is nice to look at these pictures, thanks and continue to enjoy.

:doublethumbsup:

oh boy! looks like its gona be a sweet knife! Congrats and I'm looking forward to the next round of photos.

I seem to always forget that one of his customs would definitely be on my bucket list. Congrats, Pete!

And it only gets better from that first forged picture(can't say rough-forged, because his after forging are certainly not rough). Of course the anticipation builds, and the eagerness, and then the knife shows up about a week before you expect it. Enjoy the ride.

I will post more pics as I receive them and for those wondering, the steel is 52100.

When it comes to handles I have not decided. I too am a huge fan of Mr. Rader's western style handles and was thinking of using a bone material to keep with the theme of the knife. I am not sure yet though but I certainly will update this thread with pictures when I receive them.

Can't wait to see what it looks like Pete. Congrats on getting the call. Interesting that you chose a boning knife for your first custom. I decided that if I get a Rader at some point, I was going to go with a petty and a paring knife, but I am going to get a few custom Gyutos first.

I have 8 gyuto's right now so I figured I would get something a bit different.

Damn Pete, Rader for a first custom? Go Big or go Home!
Sweet blade choice I think, gyutos are a dime a dozen :)
Congrats, I can't wait to see the final pics.

What? Rader Custom Gyutos a dime a dozen? Where? :clown:

I think thats great... I personally go with Gyutos for customs because its my most used knife but in the future I might go for a suji and who knows from there... Maybe a giant scimitar to go out in style in case we get invaded by elephant sized zombies!

All his knives are sublime and the gyutos are fantastic!

Here is my western gyuto:

http://m1311.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/customfan1/IMG_0683.jpg.html

Customfan that is such a teaser pic, how about pictures of the entire knife?

Oh, Rader gyuto teaser pics?
Here's mine:
DSC01715.jpg

Reed

I didn't start it!
Sold the gyuto a couple years ago.

P1000662.jpg

littlerader.jpg

raderslicer.jpg

Salty - That slicer is the shiznits.

What kind of gyutar you got there?

Custom small maker archtop. Henneken, from Finland, now from Germany.

any updates on the new knife?
If it were me I would go with one of Rader's curly woods and a dark end cap.
Kind of his signature handle.

Mark,

Heat Treatment is complete and now he will begin finishing the blade. The jury is still out on the handle, all of his are works of art, so it is terribly difficult to decide.

-Pete

The handle has been decided upon, hopefully soon I will have pictures of the finished knife.

You are 1 lucky sumbeetch!
But you definitely deserve it. I can't wait to see the finished product.
A Rader is definitely on my bucket list.

Here's a teaser picture of what I chose for the handle, it's not finished but it is definitely getting there! :pirate1::viking:

almostzw.jpg

Back