Quantcast
Sous Vide - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    People Sue-Vee their eggs? SRSly?

Sous vide eggs in shell fckin rock. The yolk and white cook at the same rate so the entire egg has the texture of custard. Not as similar to a poached egg as you would think. You cut it in half and the yolk stays in a half orb shape for a second, then gently oozes into a thick puddle. Best textured eggs I have ever had. If I had an hour to cook myself breakfast every morning I would put them on toast, you could spread them like soft butter.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Whoa. I thought I knew every way on the planet to cook eggs. You're blowing my freaking mind here, JC.

saw it on tv. blew my mind

You knew every way 'cept the best way!

It doesn't have to be super precise. See if you can rig up a pot of water on your stove that will stay at 165ish for an hour. You might have to baby it a bit, keep the pot up above the flame somehow, add some cold water now and then, but it should work.

Johnny, is the sous vide method similar to this way itasan uses in one of his videos?

Looks kinda similar. But his is cooked at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time, then chilled (I think) and served. With the sous vide ones I serve em straight out of the water bath so they are still warm/hot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Looks kinda similar. But his is cooked at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time, then chilled (I think) and served. With the sous vide ones I serve em straight out of the water bath so they are still warm/hot.

Not to be a stickler but, sous vide means under vacuum. Technically you are using a circulator to cook at a lower, more precise and constant temperature but, not sous vide. The end result is no less amazing and delicious. In Modernist Cuisine, they give you the steps to build your own circulator. God I love that book!

I think despite the literal meaning of the words sous vide, the term has certainly come to represent this cooking style, vac sealed or not.

I have a pork roast chugging along at 145, it will come out shortly and see about 15 min in a 550F oven to crust up. Perfect everytime.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***