Quantcast
kuhn rikon peeler handle mods? / peeler murderer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kuhn rikon peeler handle mods? / peeler murderer

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    this is more or less how i do it

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kbecyb7TgDE

i use a knife as well.

peelers are for carrots, potatoes and celery for me.

everything else is by knife.
    That video doesn't do the bulb with a knife ;P

Quote Originally Posted by cookinstuff View Post
    The Kuhn Rikon are a little fine for squash, I use a swissmar for my squash, and a rikon for baby carrots and asparagus, the blade isn't wide enough for squash typically on those peelers. The swissmar's come in three different blade width sizes if you look at the back, they will generally be numbered 1, 2 or 3, unless they are in the pack of swissmar julienne/serrated/ peeler pack. Using a knife is better than a kuhn rikon, but if you find a large sized swissmar, it will be annhilating cases of squash in no time, they will even do acorn squash no problem.
    I will definetly look at the swissmar and it's sizes now! Annihilation is definitely in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    That's the best peeler that I've ever used Gravy. The rigidity of the blade and overall peeler makes cutting thought tougher stuff easier. The OTB edge on the blade is good, but the ability to remove the blade and sharpen it allows you to get an edge sharper than any other peeler. I used EP stones, but sandpaper over a narrow piece of wood would work fine too.

As for ergonomics: I think that the OP has got the right idea of limiting wrist motion as much as possible. Having the sharpest possible blade that requires the least effort will also help.

If you want to mod you handle you could try roughing it out with wood glued, screwed, and wired to the existing handle. Then smooth over it with tape. Once you've got a shape you like, you can seal it all with plasti dip (http://www.plastidip.com/). Multiple coatings will give you a pretty even finish, but there may still be some little pin-holes in the surface from bubbles. If you want to go full-on obsessive compulsive, you can seal it all with a few coats of CA glue.
    Wow, lots of information here! Thank you. I'm nearly full-on obsessive compulsive.. so I like your style.

That video doesn't do the bulb with a knife ;P
    my bad, just follow the contours of the bulb. make sure you have a good grip and a sharp knife. a dull knife will murder your hand if you slip.

more or less follow the curve.... pretty much like theory's vid on here with watermelon:

squash can pretty much murder the edge of your knife so be prepared to probably be needing to sharpen it after cutting squash

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    my bad, just follow the contours of the bulb. make sure you have a good grip and a sharp knife. a dull knife will murder your hand if you slip.

more or less follow the curve.... pretty much like theory's vid on here with watermelon:

squash can pretty much murder the edge of your knife so be prepared to probably be needing to sharpen it after cutting squash
    Okay gotcha, I will prepare to remove some finger tips and practice this technique.

Name:  Y U NO GYUTO.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  10.1 KB
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I peel butternut squash w a knife. Cut the bulb off, stand up the top and then slice off the skin. Repeat with bulb half.
    this.

i do alot of things with this move. watermelons, cucumber, even large chunks of ginger. i hate digging for my peeler.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    this.

i do alot of things with this move. watermelons, cucumber, even large chunks of ginger. i hate digging for my peeler.
    And if you have a use for the scraps, you don't need to peel certain things at all. When we are using butternut squash, I cut the tops off and cut the bulbs in half. Scoop out the seeds and roast with the skins on. Peel or food mill and into soup or puree they go. Rather than peel the top, I block it right away so it is a giant rectangular cube. Then I take the 4 pieces I cut off, with a decent amount of flesh on them and roast or boil them, then peel or food mill and add them to the soup or puree. Then I can dice the top part and roast.

For ginger I basically do the same thing, grab the biggest pieces and block them without peeling. The smaller pieces and the scraps I cut off go to the bar for ginger syrup, into pickling brines, or get steeped in oil or simple syrup for vinaigrettes.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+1 do pretty much the same thing.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    if only that parer was sharp. I myself don't use a peeler, they suck no matter what.
    Chewie's the man.