Quantcast
Do most Japanese makers eyeball their heat treats?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do most Japanese makers eyeball their heat treats??

I don't mean to say that this is a bad way to do it, but it does require a lot of skill and experience to do correctly and consistently. This is probably one of the reasons we see such a big difference between performance of Japanese knives using the same steel. It is probably also the reason why most makers specialize in one steel. Most American makers use digitally controlled heat treat ovens and even I can do a proper heat treat if someone smart tells me the temperature and time.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    one thing you have to know is that the way you see color is dependent on how dark the over all room is too and any change in the lighting can cause problems
    i have befor seen makers at hammerins have failed welds or other problems cause there eye was not calabrated to the lighing under the tent
    I noticed Carter turns off the lights probably for this very reason.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

So Butch or any other makers on here. How would Carter (or any old-school ht'er) handle a blade that is heating quite a bit differently from point to point?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com