Anyone heading into Chef's armoury tomorrow?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schanop

Reaction score
Saw that Leigh had just posted some new knives including single bevel wa-gyuto. They look quite cool. I don't read Japanese, but do these look like Sakai Takayuki?

747152837.jpg

Oh well, couldn't resist. I went in during my grocery trip to pick up dry NZ wasabi powder and had a peek at these knives.

These single bevels: gyuto, santoku, and petty, turned out to be a custom order from Sakai Takayuki. They look pretty funky and cool with ebony handle and born bolster and end cap, have nice fit and finish, and come with saya.

Gyuto looks awfully similar to Suisin Momiji, thin but not that laser thin. Eddie kinda nodded when I asked if these were Kenji Togashi's forging. If you couldn't recall, Kenji Togashi was the man behind Suisin white #2 Momiji line.

Petty and Santoku are wickedly thin, but I think Shig single bevel santoku that I have is a bit thinner, at least towards the tip.

What sorta sizes were they carrying?

I saw Gyuto 210 and 240, santoku probably 165, may be 180, and a petty 150. Didn't handle these, only a quick peek. And not sure whether these are measured from machi or from heel.

Cheers, might have a gander on my day off.

It's live on their webpage: Sakai Takayuki Ishin Denshou. But be prepared to bring along a big fat wallet :)

Knives look like they are measured from machi, so edge length is a touch shorter than stated knife length.

Back