Quantcast
Revisions to the "What Knife Should You Buy" Questions - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 97

Thread: Revisions to the "What Knife Should You Buy" Questions

  1. #31
    Engorged Member
    El Pescador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,902
    Some knives are shipped sharpened, others are not. A good question is "Do you have the ability to sharpen a new knife?"
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

  2. #32
    Senior Member rdpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Please feel free to propose your own "guides" and put them up for comment and approval in a separate thread. Thank you.
    Oh. I am very sorry, I was under the impression that this thread was to discuss revisions to the questionnaire and had not realised that you did not actually wish to discuss things.


    In the spirit of carrying on regardless though, as Jaybett points out, the follow up questions are usually pretty much the same.A basic introduction (I don't know why you keep putting "guide" in quote marks) would be useful.

    I know that you are very concerned about opinions - whose you value, and whose you do not value - and what you consider often poor quality of advice given on this site, and being concerned about that is important when devising advice. It is however not beyond the wit of man for us to distil these "opinions" into a basic and uncontroversial guide that would benefit those who know very little indeed.

    You may say this has nothing to do with the questionnaire, but I disagree. I think that the questionnaire is the entry point for most people looking to jump into J-knives, and so the ideal place to instil a small bit of basic knowledge.

    Robert

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Oh. I am very sorry, I was under the impression that this thread was to discuss revisions to the questionnaire and had not realised that you did not actually wish to discuss things.


    In the spirit of carrying on regardless though, as Jaybett points out, the follow up questions are usually pretty much the same.A basic introduction (I don't know why you keep putting "guide" in quote marks) would be useful.

    I know that you are very concerned about opinions - whose you value, and whose you do not value - and what you consider often poor quality of advice given on this site, and being concerned about that is important when devising advice. It is however not beyond the wit of man for us to distil these "opinions" into a basic and uncontroversial guide that would benefit those who know very little indeed.

    You may say this has nothing to do with the questionnaire, but I disagree. I think that the questionnaire is the entry point for most people looking to jump into J-knives, and so the ideal place to instil a small bit of basic knowledge.

    Robert
    Since you've got such strong opinions about this, please feel free to do what you want with the questionnaire, what basic knowledge should be included and circulate it for comment.

    Have at it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  4. #34
    Senior Member rdpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Since you've got such strong opinions about this, please feel free to do what you want with the questionnaire, what basic knowledge should be included and circulate it for comment.

    Have at it.
    I have already circulated my suggestions, but thanks for the offer, Mike.

  5. #35
    Senior Member wenus2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    870
    This sounds great Mike. It's long overdue and it sounds like you have it well in hand.
    I agree the questionnaire should be about collecting info, not providing it. This also makes it more fluid as the opinions, tastes, and the industry itself are constantly evolving.

    My biggest concern, outside of the always asked additional questions, would be phrasing the questions for new people to better answer them. A lot of the questions are answered inappropriately because people don't know what valid answers are, ie cutting motion.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    I have already circulated my suggestions, but thanks for the offer, Mike.
    Put your suggestions into a formal proposed questionnaire since you don't agree with what I'm doing.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    This sounds great Mike. It's long overdue and it sounds like you have it well in hand.
    I agree the questionnaire should be about collecting info, not providing it. This also makes it more fluid as the opinions, tastes, and the industry itself are constantly evolving.

    My biggest concern, outside of the always asked additional questions, would be phrasing the questions for new people to better answer them. A lot of the questions are answered inappropriately because people don't know what valid answers are, ie cutting motion.
    I think your "fluid" description is really appropriate.

    I was thinking about how much more variety of knives we now have and how there are constantly new knives coming onto the market and what features they have when asked why we don't have something explaining what to expect of a knife at a certain price point. That alone makes it difficult to me to say what a knife should have at a certain price point. To use a car analogy, cars just a few years ago didn't have standard side curtain airbags. Now, nearly all do. Some features on knives weren't available at lower price points just a couple of years ago; now they are. This alone makes it very difficult to say that a knife in a certain price range should/or needs to have certain features. The standards are constantly changing.

    And, I was giving serious thought to making the questions more user friendly and self-explanatory so we can get better answers. I completely agree with you.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  8. #38
    Senior Member rdpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Put your suggestions into a formal proposed questionnaire since you don't agree with what I'm doing.
    If you read back over what I have actually said, Michael, you should be able to see that at no point have I said that I disagree with what you are doing. I actually said that I did agree with it, and made a suggestion as to how the questions could be ordered that might make sense.
    What you seem to have taken against is my suggestion that it might be an idea to have a link in the introduction to the questionnaire that would point novices to something they could read that would make the whole questionnaire process more fluid and helpful for both the person seeking advice, and those giving it.
    You don't agree with me, and that is fine, but it doesn't alter the fact that, as someone who came here very recently as a total novice, I still believe it would be helpful.

    Please don't impute that I am doing anything other than trying to give some input.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    You may say this has nothing to do with the questionnaire, but I disagree. I think that the questionnaire is the entry point for most people looking to jump into J-knives, and so the ideal place to instil a small bit of basic knowledge.

    Robert
    You don't disagree you say?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    What you seem to have taken against is my suggestion that it might be an idea to have a link in the introduction to the questionnaire that would point novices to something they could read that would make the whole questionnaire process more fluid and helpful for both the person seeking advice, and those giving it.
    If you feel like this is important, then do it. Please create something that "novices . . . could read to make the whole questionnaire process more fluid" and submit it to the moderators for approval.

    Thanks.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •