Quantcast
Revisions to the "What Knife Should You Buy" Questions
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisions to the "What Knife Should You Buy" Questions

Revisions to the "What Knife Should You Buy" Questions

I'm posting here because the "What Knife Should You Buy" sticky/thread is closed.

We've had those questions for some time, and, although it's a good start in my opinion, it seems that some critical questions could be included in order to better assist members, especially new ones, who are looking to buy a new knife.

Currently, these are the questions:

----------

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics-
    Edge Quality/Retention-
    Ease of Use-
    Comfort-

What grip do you use?

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Where do you store them?

Have you ever oiled a handle?

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Have they ever been sharpened?

What is your budget?

What do you cook and how often?

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

----------

Follow up questions to these always seem include:

1. What length of knife are you looking for?
    2. Western or wa handled knife?
    3. Are you right or left handed?

Are there other questions that you think should be included?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Steel preference?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Steel preference?
    I was going to say the same thing (stainless or carbon).

I agree, but as long as it is easy to answer.... I wouldn't try to narrow the steel just yet. Maybe leave it like you guys just said... Carbon or stainless...

Let the community suggest the best steel...

And what do you cook? Maybe what ingredients do you cut, or what kind of ingredients do you commonly use your knife on...

I prefer direct questions... Less room for interpretation.

Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

Personaly I think some of the questions silly and generally have no sway in the suggestions I make, for example:

"have you ever oiled a handle", who cares, unless you are getting a custom handle, pom, g10, ho....all the same.
    "Where do you store them" again, who cares, not going to make a suggestion for a knife based on where you keep it.
    "Type of cutting board"...whether its epicurean, end grain, bamboo, or poly, it does nothing except give us ammo to ridicule, and is not a deciding factor for most knife suggestions.

Just my opinion on it.

"Where do you store them" again, who cares, not going to make a suggestion for a knife based on where you keep it.
    noobs most of the time keep their knives in a drawer banging around with other things so if we suggest to keep their knives somewhere else or in a knife drawer that doesn't let stuff bang around each other then it would help them a lot better and help educate them =D

or some other place that would hurt the knives....

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    noobs always keep their knives in a drawer banging around with other things so if we suggest to keep their knives somewhere else or in a knife drawer that doesn't let stuff bang around each other then it would help them a lot better and help educate them =D
    Would be better to simply write a paragraph about how to store knives, and what kind of boards to use than ask. As Kalaeb said, all that asking does is give a reason to pick fault with people.

Type of steel is the biggest thing I think is missing. Maybe where the knife will be used.

Would be better to simply write a paragraph about how to store knives, and what kind of boards to use than ask. As Kalaeb said, all that asking does is give a reason to pick fault with people.
    understood. then maybe a sticky on knife grips, knife storage, knife maintenance, and what kind of boards are suggested should be in order =D

Carbon or stainless, home or pro environment.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    understood. then maybe a sticky on knife grips, knife storage, knife maintenance, and what kind of boards are suggested should be in order =D

Personally, I'd even go as far as to sticky a range of commonly recommended knives, and the pros and cons of them. That all depends on if we actually want to have the 'what knife should I get' threads though.