Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dt itk vs Rodrigue mid tech

Engorged Member
    TK59 and I messed around with ITKs from different runs. There's a big difference between knives made early on and knives from later batches. The can be completely different beasts.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    TK59 and I messed around with ITKs from different runs. There's a big difference between knives made early on and knives from later batches. The can be completely different beasts.
    This one is #10 from the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Will you enlighten us as to what the changes were over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Will you enlighten us as to what the changes were over time?
    spine thickness and weight.

The later were thinner, no lasers, but thinner than the version 1.0.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Interesting, thanks guys.

Seems like some have a slightly flatter profile, is this related to different series or my imagination?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

well, most dt itk pics that i see are of used ones, i also noticed the profiles at times seemed to differ. might have alot to do with sharpening over time though.

I'm finding this very interesting, my friend at work has an ITK, it is pretty similar to my custom DT, mine is a lot flatter. There are also two Rodrigue custom gyutos at work, both are very robust knives, my Rodrigue is my work horse, I could do anything with it, but a lazer, never thought of a Rodrigue gyuto as a lazer. These are much different than the customs from Pierre I have seen, this looks like it could be a good comparison to my Ikkanshi Tadatsuna, not my Rodrigue gyuto. I might have to grab one of these, or bug Lefty if I can see his

Question for Lefty and K-Fed - this is my first brand new knife! I have never sharpened a new knife for the first time. (I have been practicing on numerous knives, carbon, pm, and have the basics down, but would appreciate any guidance or feedback you might have on sharpening this guy.)

Any suggestions on how to attack the mid tech from an angle/assymetry standpoint? I was struggling to understand the grind last night (with rulers) and trying to focus my eyes on the bevels (knife so thin hard to focus!) and just was having a tough time seeing any variance from 50/50 bevels.

Any insight (or suggested angles of attack) from your sharpenings?

I am hoping to spend more time this weekend with the knife and will report back here with impressions.