Dt itk vs Rodrigue mid tech

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
Ill try to write a review after work tomorrow after I have a little more board time with the Rodrigue. I will say off the bat that this thing is super thin and awesome for more detailed cuts. It almost feels like it bridges the gap between a gyuto and a suji. The tip is sharpened tinfoil thin and very pointy. Easily going from fine dicing shallots to cleaning the silver skin off pork tenderloin.
870pu2q.jpg

Not sure. Ill get a measurement tomorrow. The heel height feels about average for a 240mm gyuto but the blade shape is very triangular leaving the tip quite narrow. It is a very comfortable knife to use and kind of reminds me of a tuned up sab.

Not sure. Ill get a measurement tomorrow. The heel height feels about average for a 240mm gyuto but the blade shape is very triangular leaving the tip quite narrow. It is a very comfortable knife to use and kind of reminds me of a tuned up sab. I've never used a masamoto ks but I imagine that they are a bit similar.

height at heel?

48mm. Just touched up the edge and this knife plays very well with the rika... Haven't really found a knife that didn't but i got much better results off the rika than with the choceras on this one. Finished with a nakayama karasu. quite nice.

As a newb sharpener, do you think this knife would be worth a quick pass on a gesshin 4k before use, or nothing? Don't have higher grit options currently, and am awaiting first strop as well.

If mine ever leaves Chicago's postal wasteland where it's been sitting for a week, I will chime in with my thoughts as well!

I sharpened mine up to a 6k, and it's very very sharp, thin as nimble. K-Fed, how are you finding the feel in hand, with how light it is, compared to the DT ITK?

As a newb sharpener, do you think this knife would be worth a quick pass on a gesshin 4k before use, or nothing? Don't have higher grit options currently, and am awaiting first strop as well.

If mine ever leaves Chicago's postal wasteland where it's been sitting for a week, I will chime in with my thoughts as well!

I would for sure. the edge imho was ok at best out of the box. The tip is extremely thin and a little flexible. Light pressure when sharpening the tip is a must on this one to avoid birds beaking it.

I sharpened mine up to a 6k, and it's very very sharp, thin as nimble. K-Fed, how are you finding the feel in hand, with how light it is, compared to the DT ITK?

Really they are both two extremely different animals. The Rodrigue is extremely light and nimble while the dt has a good bit of heft to it. I was really suprised how light it really is. In hand it reminded me of the 210mm konosuke wa gyuto I once had as far as that goes. The balance on mine is spot on as well. Balancing right at the choil. I couldn't imagine a gyuto being any more nimble.

How much flex is there on both?

I think it would be helpful to see some numbers - thickness on the spine over the heel, then half way, then 2" from the tip, and weight of both knives. Those would give a fuller picture of knives you are comparing.

When you compare a laser with a hefty knife, performance will be very different.

M

My first words to Pierre, in regards to mine were, "Reminds me of the Konosuke White 2 gyuto we played around with, but with a much nicer handle".

I'm really interested in this comparo. Ive been lusting after a DT gyuto for a while now based on reviews, comments, and knife forum lore, but have yet to handle one. So seeing other makers put head to head with the "grail" always catches my interest.

Can't wait to hear more after you've put it to more use.

How much flex is there on both?

I think it would be helpful to see some numbers - thickness on the spine over the heel, then half way, then 2" from the tip, and weight of both knives. Those would give a fuller picture of knives you are comparing.

When you compare a laser with a hefty knife, performance will be very different.

M

I'd love to but I'm 86 calipers. Maybe lefty or Pierre could comment on this.

I could measure it. How exactly do you want me to measure the flexibility of the tip? I'd say it's there, but not overly bendy. Wit that being said, I'll give numbers, with an explanation on something "standard".

I'm really interested in this comparo. Ive been lusting after a DT gyuto for a while now based on reviews, comments, and knife forum lore, but have yet to handle one. So seeing other makers put head to head with the "grail" always catches my interest.

Can't wait to hear more after you've put it to more use.
Shoot me a PM -- I have a 240 DT ITK in AEB-L you can try out (in Alexandria)

Off Topic...I would actually be curious as the standard as to how one would measure flex, for example hold the tip down and apply pressure from the handle and measure how far you press down? Or the same, only where along the blade it flexes, 2 inches from tip etc.....

I snapped a few pics tonight. They're worth a thousand words. The first is a flex pic of the Rodrigue. Second is the same with my dt and the third is a side by side of the spine at the tip. Keep in mind the dt is also very thin at the tip. Thinner than my suisin IH. The Rodrigue is on the left in the third picture.
3nf9pYL.jpg

OZfaF7s.jpg

uokcezq.jpg

TK59 and I messed around with ITKs from different runs. There's a big difference between knives made early on and knives from later batches. The can be completely different beasts.

TK59 and I messed around with ITKs from different runs. There's a big difference between knives made early on and knives from later batches. The can be completely different beasts.

This one is #10 from the first run.

Will you enlighten us as to what the changes were over time?

Seems like some have a slightly flatter profile, is this related to different series or my imagination?

well, most dt itk pics that i see are of used ones, i also noticed the profiles at times seemed to differ. might have alot to do with sharpening over time though.

I'm finding this very interesting, my friend at work has an ITK, it is pretty similar to my custom DT, mine is a lot flatter. There are also two Rodrigue custom gyutos at work, both are very robust knives, my Rodrigue is my work horse, I could do anything with it, but a lazer, never thought of a Rodrigue gyuto as a lazer. These are much different than the customs from Pierre I have seen, this looks like it could be a good comparison to my Ikkanshi Tadatsuna, not my Rodrigue gyuto. I might have to grab one of these, or bug Lefty if I can see his :whistling:

Question for Lefty and K-Fed - this is my first brand new knife! I have never sharpened a new knife for the first time. (I have been practicing on numerous knives, carbon, pm, and have the basics down, but would appreciate any guidance or feedback you might have on sharpening this guy.)

Any suggestions on how to attack the mid tech from an angle/assymetry standpoint? I was struggling to understand the grind last night (with rulers) and trying to focus my eyes on the bevels (knife so thin hard to focus!) and just was having a tough time seeing any variance from 50/50 bevels.

Any insight (or suggested angles of attack) from your sharpenings?

I am hoping to spend more time this weekend with the knife and will report back here with impressions.

Latest posts

Back