Quantcast
How to clean up grind marks on face of blade?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to clean up grind marks on face of blade?

How to clean up grind marks on face of blade?

What are the methods to cleaning up grind marks left from the stone?

I would love to have it be a mirror polished. Would I do this with a motorized buffing wheel?

I've been thinning my Hiromoto AS wagyuto 300mm. DwarvenChef recommended that I get this in Oct 2009, in knifeforums.com It's my first and only gyuto and I love it.

if you have a strop and if the scratches aren't deep, you can strop the blade face til it gets a mirror finish. or buy sandpaper in increasing higher grit and hand sand it til shiny. =D

Thanks Franz

Wet dry automotive sandpaper in increasing grits, then micromesh polishing pads, then finish with flitz. Then wash, dry and rub with tsubiki oil.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Anybody ever use these things:
    http://www.**************.com/misu3x4sopa.html

I like teir ability to polish and remove scratches, though I may be missing a step with some sandpaper as this thread would allude.
    Also, the seem to go relatively quickly with regular use, does anyone have a different vender that I could consider?

Also, are these goo for removing rust or a patina? Havent tried that yet.

Thanks!

i just use barkeeper's friend for removing rust and patina. doesn't leave too deep scratches that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    Anybody ever use these things:
    http://www.**************.com/misu3x4sopa.html

I like teir ability to polish and remove scratches, though I may be missing a step with some sandpaper as this thread would allude.
    Also, the seem to go relatively quickly with regular use, does anyone have a different vender that I could consider?

Also, are these goo for removing rust or a patina? Havent tried that yet.

Thanks!
    I use those after 800 grit wet dry sandpaper use with wa powders from JNS for a nice kasumi finish
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    I am rather new around here and certainly not want to offend site admins, but this removal of links to certain web pages is sometimes really contra-productive. Is it really necessary? I have not experienced it anywhere else. In this particular case I have no idea what kind of tool was meant as the link that could have given the idea is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    I am rather new around here and certainly not want to offend site admins, but this removal of links to certain web pages is sometimes really contra-productive. Is it really necessary? I have not experienced it anywhere else. In this particular case I have no idea what kind of tool was meant as the link that could have given the idea is gone.
    micro mesh pads, it's what Theory recommended and you can get them at amazon...there is only one web site ***'d out and they suck...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Remove the scratches with sandpaper or on the stones, then take it to a 1000 grit paper finish (just stay with the same piece until it becomes very worn and completely loaded, equivalent to a 2k stone finish). It will give you a misty kind of mirror. Just make sure there aren't any deep scratches left. Then hit it with Mothers mag & aluminium polish on a rag and you will get results like this.