Quantcast
How to clean up grind marks on face of blade? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to clean up grind marks on face of blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. The stainless clad is soft, very soft. On a mirror polished face you see the smallest scratch caused in daily use. My Hiromoto has a mat finish maintained with coarse ScotchBrite.
    Thank you Benuser! I'll keep in mind what you said.

How many uses do you guys typically get out of a set of micro mesh pads?

I just removed from scratches I created while reprofiling an aeb-l edge too sharply. I followed the advice on these boards and bought 3M wet/dry sandpaper. I gradually increased from 320,400,600,800 and 1000 grit. I made sanding blocks from scrap 1 x 4 pine I had lying around. It worked beautifully. The finish was fantastic and not too mirror like. The scratches are not detectable except by a 30x loupe. I was reluctant to try, but it turned out fantastic and I'd recommend to anyone. You may not want the 1000 grit and you can dicontinue the process anywhere along the way.

I just removed from scratches I created while reprofiling an aeb-l edge too sharply. I followed the advice on these boards and bought 3M wet/dry sandpaper. I gradually increased from 320,400,600,800 and 1000 grit. I made sanding blocks from scrap 1 x 4 pine I had lying around. It worked beautifully. The finish was fantastic and not too mirror like. The scratches are not detectable except by a 30x loupe. I was reluctant to try, but it turned out fantastic and I'd recommend to anyone. You may not want the 1000 grit and you can discontinue the process anywhere along the way. (corrected for spellin)

I tried to do the same with a 'practice' pos stainless knife after i destroyed it trying to thin it out. I had to start with emery cloth (coarse-med-fine) before the 320 automotive wet/dry showed ANY effect. After the emery cloth, it was smooth sailing and I took it all the way up tp 2500. Looks pretty good for an absolute piece of junk!

Chris

+ Reply to Thread