Start of the wood milling.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Thought i would put a few pics up here for you to look at.
0510011458.jpg

2011-05-10_12-31-13_120.jpg

P1030197.jpg

Hopefully this will be fully sawn and milled by this weekend.

Cheers
Mike

What kind of wood? What will it be used for, handle material, other things?

Sweet! Man I need to find me some logs like that.

I'm not looking.

Stefan

The top burl and the root system are Box Elder,the bottom one is Maple. I have the full maple tree getting dropped in about 2 weeks, been dead and still standing for 3-4 years, it is pretty hard stuff. Sorry, i posted this on Del's page because he will end up with a bunch of it. The burl in the top pic is about 16" and it goes completely through the roots :)

Major coolness! This beats the heck out of buying little pieces as far as I'm concerned. More work, but what fun!

I think half of the fun is in the exploration. From finding, and logging to cutting up the wood to see what surprises await inside! I will soon have a substantial amount ready to ship for stabilization, so maybe i will have some available for you guys :) The wood i get is getting split evenly 3 ways. Delbert is one of the 3 ways lol. So Del...does that mean i get a Gyuto? hahahaha

That looks like an exciting score! Keep posting!

I have a friend on Facebook whose girlfriend posted a picture of a "gross tree"...it was a massive Pecan Burl, which IIRC, are pretty bloody rare. Of course, I asked, and she remembers nothing about it or it's location.

I have since kept my eyes peeled for just this thing.

Hey, let's see some pictures of it cut up. I'll show you mine if you show me yours :)

Some crazy Spalted Maple I happened upon:
standard.jpg

You'll be seeing some kitchen knife handles out of this in a few months.
standard.jpg

That Box Elder Burl of yours should be nothing short of amazing.
-M

Love the spalt, Michael. You plan on stabilizing that? Might have to trade you a few pieces :beer: I noticed that some of the edging of the box elder has some spalting in it. Mine goes to the sawmill today for sure, so should be done by monday :)

Yeah, needs to dry some more and cut down a bit to handle-sized pieces before I send it off to WSSI. We might be able to work something out. I love Box Elder Burl lots, so....
-M

50 pounds? :eek:

I felt like a high roller and sent in 6 pounds. LMAO!!!

Mike @ WSSI treated me like a king though.

The latest batch from stabilization :viking:
Almost 50 lbs

That looks sweet, I'd love to roam through that and have a closer look... I got about 30 pounds back from K&G a few weeks ago and the next box is almost full.

Just wondering: Do you guys see a quality difference between WSSI and K&G? I have just used K&G lately because they were faster, more responsive, and easier to reach. Maybe I was just unlucky, I had a hard time getting a hold of Mike the last few times I tried. I thought both were good but I never compared wood treated by them directly.

Stefan

Never used K&G, so don't know. WSSI has been good to me. I fill up a box, send it to them and two weeks later they call asking for my credit card #. (I give them Stephan Fowler's... don't tell.) I'm pretty sure they use a different resin and/or heat setting, but it would be interesting to cut one piece in half, send one to K&G and send one to WSSI and compare quality, etc...
-M

I have not sent any to K&G although I have used a few pieces that were done by them. I know the resin they use is slightly different, because some woods stabilized by K&G aremore reactive to certian chemicals than WSSI. I use WSSI because I have always had good results and Mike lets me know if there are any issues. Sent him that batch on april 19 and got it back on may 9 priority mail both ways. 20 days total 4 for shipping and 2 weekends makes 12 days which works just fine for me. There will be more work for Mike soon. :viking:

Thousands of eyes looking at me :eek2:

Stefan

Here is a small Black Locust burl that i got my hands on. Not exactly the most well known or used wood, but it is 2 years dry. The guy i got them from has a portable saw mill and will have them cut up for me hopefully sunday :) Thought i would get it up here for you guys to peek at
Oh...btw, it is 16 feet long and 34 inches in diameter without the burls.

0517119518301.jpg

The Black Locust Burl sounds and looks badass. Love burls...can I get a piece!? Maybe I will get some attached to a Del.

You guys are making me drool.:drool: I'd love to find some kinda burl or spalted tree around here to cut up.

Back