Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My bread

Experimenting with different loaf pans. So far cheapo aluminum still comes out best

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Looking really good. I've noticed that darker pans can mess with the browning.

Peter Reinhart's TED Talk on bread....fascinating stuff, I love the concept of bread being a transformational food:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8Yk3mEEb8

Beautiful breads here guys, inspiring!

-hoop

I've seen that TED talk. I'm so addicted to TED, lol, watch at least two a week.

I've met him before at a guild conference. He was a nice guy, smart as hell, and a good taste in beer.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Well her is the Multigrain bread I came up with. Now remember I ain't no chef!! lol!! This is how I made it and it has replaced our daily eating bread, for toast, and at meals, or in sandwiches. It is a moist, soft bread.

Pierre’s Multigrain Bread

2 Cups Porridge oat blend (oat flakes, oat bran, wheat bran, flax seeds)
    ½ cup minute oats
    4 ½ cups multigrain flour
    2/3 cup honey
    ½ cup canola oil
    1 ½ tsp salt
    4 cups hot water
    Blend above with electric mixer, until thoroughly combined and elastic. Let rest/soak 4-6 hours or over night. (to soften the whole grains )
    Add 1 ½ Tbsp instant yeast to 1 cup of warm water, 10 to 15 minutes. Add to dough mixture, and mix in. Let sit for an hour.
    Add 4 cups All Purpose flour and knead. Turn out of board, and knead in another cup of flour (5 in total)
    Knead until smooth. Place and let rise till double, punch down, form and place into bread pans.
    Let rise.
    Bake at 340* for 40 minutes, then 370 for 5 – 7 minutes. (for a drier bread with a harder crust, increase the temp and omit the butter/milk rub)
    For a soft crust, brush with milk or butter.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks, and bravo for using a soaker. Do you leave soak room temp, or in the fridge?

Room temp.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Nice bit of crunch to the crust. Lunch was a couple of slices of Irish cheddar on the end slices, tomorrow for lunch I think I'll try an entry in the grilled cheese thread with a couple of slices of this loaf.

Looks good Reed. I haven't played around with the ceramic balls and pellets you sent me yet, but will definitely let you know when I do. I haven't been baking at home recently, been to busy with work, it's getting into brew fest season for us, and have been brewing like a madman, so home time is sleepy time, lol. Might try them tomorrow though, going to bake some bread for the Local SPCA bake sale.

Hope you get a chance to put them to good use soon. I was looking at my pie weights earlier today, thinking I need to get onto a pie. Reminds me that its almost rhubarb season. Rhubarb and apple, that's my favorite, unless its cherry.