Quantcast
My bread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My bread

My bread

As promised, I'm starting a my bread thread. I'll update this when I make something new, haven't posted here before, or just down right looks good. * I have a few daily breads I do, but occasionally do something different, or completely new, with new techniques, or off the wall. I apologize now for the crappy iPhone pics, the lighting here sucks, and I normally leave my camera at home.

Today I did a 100% wild yeast dark rye. I say wild instead of sourdough because of how I cultivated/collected the yeast from the air, yup the air, not flour like normal sourdough.

It's nothing new for me to collect wild yeast like this, as I've been brewing wild yeast beers here for a while collecting the yeast the same way, but that's a different thread for another time. The yeast still is Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis, but the collecting process makes it quite funky. I make a simple wort with a gravity of 1.040 with Bavarian wheat DME and water (1/4 cup DME, 1 cup water) put in a jar with cheese cloth on the top to keep dust out, and let it ferment for about a week.

The most interesting part of this bread to me is the starter and slurry. I replaced the water in this bread with my chocolate oatmeal stout we have on tap, to give it little sweetness, and I like to bake with my beer as much as possible. Anyways, lol.... The slurry is interesting. I take some stale sourdough, and burn it charcoal black in the oven for a hour or so (staff hated this part, it smoked up the whole place, lol) and mix that with said stout and coffee grinds overnight. The starter is all the yeasty wort and more stout, and very course locally ground rye.

Bread turned out pretty good, still needs some tweaking though, and I may need to let the yeast mature a little more, or work on that as well.

On to the pic. Didn't get a crumb pic, but I'll get one tomorrow when I do this again. Also a pic of the grind of the rye I used. The rye takes up 15% of the grain bill

Sorry for the long winded post. I just love bread...

~joe
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Very nice, thanks for starting this thread. I don't bake regularly enough to keep starters around, I seem to always kill them somehow. Still a beginner, I mostly make variations of the no knead bread and still cannot believe how good that comes out most of the time - if I get the moisture right. I usually add a bit of sugar beet syrup for sweetness and color, but I will just try a stout the next time. Sorry for the amateur question, but can I use a porter also? And do yo grind your own flour?

Stefan

You can use whatever beer you want, I do some with stout, porter, hefe, pale ales, IPAs, alt, list goes on... Lol

I don't grind my own, but outside westminster md (about 15 mins away) there is a working 1800's stone mill. They even power it by the stream on property, it's the Union Mills Homestead. They will grind any flour I need to whatever fineness I specify, but only when they are demoing the mill to school kids, scouts, and whatnot. I only get my rye from them, as I don't go through as much.

I do a few loaves of no knead at home a week for me and my fiancé. I have one fermenting away now to bake off in the morning. A little tip, replace about 1/3 cup of the water with buttermilk, and it will add a sourdough like twang to it. Very yummy.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Stoked to see this thread start!

Thanks
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Thanks for the buttermilk tip. I used to make my own quark (basically a farmers cheese, just let buttermilk and milk sit i a yoghurt maker for 24 hours and then let the whey dran off overnight). Then I used the whey to make the break, mixed the quark with some fresh herbs and put it on the fresh bread. Doesn't get much better than that But I now have most of my stuff in storage, so using straight buttermilk makes this easier. Looks like I need to go shopping in the morning for buttermilk and rye and spelt flour.

Stefan

am so jealous of your skills! =D

Remember rye and spelt do not contain gluten (or such small amounts to be considered trivial,) so don't overdo it, like no more than 20% of either, unless you have some vital wheat gluten to add, but that can be trick like ending up with a rubber ball, or you'll end up with a flat chewy brick. Even this dark rye is only 15% rye of the grain bill. Most of which is in the starter to soften up overnight.

Hey stefan, what are you using for your no knead, a Dutch oven, la cloche, ect...

I use a big flower pot upside down on my pizza stone. I plugged the hole in the bottom of the pot with two washers and bolt, "just" tight enought to not move. Here is a pic of some no knead I did last week. It's an all white.

Yep, I usually go for 10-15% rye, 35-40% whole wheat, and 50% AP or bread flour. I like it a bit on the dense and chewy side, so that works out great for me. And with the whey/buttermilk and rye flour it almost tastes like home, just wish I had a brick oven - I use a Staub cast iron dutch oven.

Stefan

I'm building one at my parents this spring. No room here in my townhouse, lol. And it gives me and my dad something to do while we drink the beer I'm teaching him to brew