Quantcast
My bread - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My bread

Long posts about bread are perfect with me. I've been baking bread for over two years and been kicking myself that I didn't start sooner.

My dad built a stone grill in the garden that would work great, it's just open at the front, so I would need to get some firebricks or a door to close it. Unfortunately, my Dad lives 10,000 miles away from me...

Stefan

I like this thread. I've been doing a lot more baking lately, and really enjoy trying to make better breads each time. I've been using Malt Syrup in some doughs, and always in my pizza dough, and I like the flavor it brings to the table (damn, terrible pun...).
    JM, I've been using a simple biga starter with decent results, but have been thinking about changing it up. Do you think a little malt syrup in the starter would speed up the fermentation too much?

Stefan,
    You can keep your starter in the fridge, and it'll slow down the fermentation quite a bit so that you'd only need to feed it maybe once a week. If you want to bake the next day, just take out how much you need before you go to bed, replace it with 50% flour & 50% water by weight, stir it in and put it back in the fridge. When you get up, the starter you pulled out will be ready to go.

Love to see a pic of the flower pot technique in action.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Chefdog, I wouldn't add anything to your starter besides water and flour. Malt syrup is a fun thing, but has way to much glucose, and that's the first sugars go for. Sounds like a good thing, but in a short time (hours even) you'll have a starter that is to alcoholic to survive, even when retarded in the fridge. I would just keep adding a few tablespoons to your dough.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the flower pot when I bake in the morning.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Great thread! Would you care to share how you do the 'no knead' bread? Looks fantastic. I do a sort of flat 'no knead' that I cook on a cast iron griddle. Inspired by you here I'll start using beers as well. Thanks.

No problem. I'll do a write up tomorrow. I took the basic no knead, and tweaked it a little to get it where is is now to have that crumb crust.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Good looking bread there. I found bread first, then brewing. It seems like so many I know have an interest in both. I havent combined the two realms but my cousin likes to use some of his spent grain bill to make a real dense breakfast loaf. I hadn't thought to use dme to capture yeast. My starter has been going strong for almost 7 years now, but if I ever lose it I will have to keep this in mind.

I dont want to pick, but just for the sake of scientific accuracy, let's say the yeast is most likely Candida milleri and the souring agent may be Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis or another lactic acid bacteria.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Chefdog, I wouldn't add anything to your starter besides water and flour. Malt syrup is a fun thing, but has way to much glucose, and that's the first sugars go for. Sounds like a good thing, but in a short time (hours even) you'll have a starter that is to alcoholic to survive, even when retarded in the fridge. I would just keep adding a few tablespoons to your dough.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the flower pot when I bake in the morning.
    Thanks JM, that's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. I bought the malt syrup when I started making bagels, and then tried it in my pizza dough and was really happy with the results, so I've started trying to use it more. I think it works better in quicker fermenting or retarded doughs, since you can use more w/o worrying about exhausting the yeast too soon.

Cool thread, keep it coming.

Did a few hundred mini brioche buns last night. They are used for little mini sandwich trays we have on our catering menu. They are about the size of golf balls.