Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My bread

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    I think I'm ok. Its bright white, smelled like wine and dough. Poured off half, freshened, within 3 hours, there were bubbles!! 9 hours later there is a 1" head, so I think its ok.
    This was left for a month unfed? You have a very robust starter!

It hadn't been fed since December. I keep it in the refrigerator, and its set very low. About 2 degrees. I guess near freezing helped keep it dormant.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Should be fine. No harm trying right. If it doesn't work or brings unwanted flavors, just start a new one, or I can dry some of mine and send it to you.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I have a question about sour dough starters since we are talking about them. When I go to restaurants with the sourdough bread there dough has an actual sour flavor whereas mine just has a very nice complex flavor but isn't really sour. So are they adding something to there's I do not have or what? I really like mine I just dont detect any sour notes with mine at home. Can anyone shine a bit of light on this?

It's all about the starter, as well as fermentation and autolyze techniques. A few questions:

How old is your starter?

How are you margining it, feeding, storage, refreshing?

Is this a Demi sourdough, meaning adding other yeasts to the picture?

What's the formula your using, I can help bring out flavors you want better if I know the formula.

Fermentation times?

This can be fun, I love talking bread, lol
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I'm going to rethink my first statement... It's about the starter, but a lot of the sour flavors come from fermentation, autolyze, and retarding the dough and yeasts.

We'll figure this out, and get you the flavors your after

Been a while since I posted something of my own in a while, here's one.

Rye and millet yeast water English Muffins. Just love playing with yeast waters. Brings a whole new level to my yeast obsession, lol

I would appreciate the opportunity to try your starter. Give a guy a chance to experiment with flavors.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I'm going to rethink my first statement... It's about the starter, but a lot of the sour flavors come from fermentation, autolyze, and retarding the dough and yeasts.

We'll figure this out, and get you the flavors your after
    Mostly I just want to see how to get there, I usually use a pinch of yeast in with my starter. Around 50% hydration. The starter is fed once a week so I figured that was my main problem. I usually mix rise around 3 hours, shape and rise 2 hours and bake. It turns out really good just no real sour flavor.

Rye and millet yeast water English muffins looks interesting. How's the crumb?