Quantcast
masamoto ks owners! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: masamoto ks owners!

well, i have been looking at pics of KS gyutos for a while and i had always asked me if it just looked rather flat or if it really was rather flat. it's enough that some people find it rather flat... i am sure i wouldn't like the profile then...

The KS is definitely flatter than most "standard" gyuto's, but it's not so flat that you can't rock it, if you want to use it that way. It's not dead flat from the heel forward, and has an ever so slight curve, which is it saving grace. Being that it is so flat, the tip is lower to the board, and having such a pointy tip, makes it very easy to use. It's actually no where near as flat as the Moritaka kiri-gyuto - I find it too flat and almost unusable. No fun to use for me.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Can anyone compare the ks profile to the Richmond ultimatum and/or the Konosuked funayuki shape (in terms of flatness)?

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Can anyone compare the ks profile to the Richmond ultimatum and/or the Konosuked funayuki shape (in terms of flatness)?
    The Ultimatum profile is a direct copy of the Masamoto KS. The geometry, though, is completely different.

DannyNYC, check out the grind shot comparison photos mpukas took in the masamoto pass around. He compares a 270mm masamoto to a 240 Sakai Yusuke ks clone. Pretty sure the ultimatum grind is much thicker overall.

Here are choil shots of the Masamoto KS and the Ultimatum. Guess which is which.

It goes without saying, Rick - LOL.

To get best of your Masamato KS, one needs to thin 10mm or so above the edge. Lay the blade flat on a Bester 500 or equivalent, press with your finger above the edge, and thin both sides until factory bevel is gone. Tip on KS very much of need of thinning. You will need to refinish the blade afterwards. A bit of work, I know but you will be getting a good improvement in performance.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The Ultimatum profile is a direct copy of the Masamoto KS. The geometry, though, is completely different.
    I had purchased - and returned immediately - a 52100 Ultimatum from the first batch. One of the things I didn't like about it was that it really wasn't a very good copy of the KS. Sure it was flat from the heel forward to about the 1/2 point - DEAD flat, which too me is too flat, and the KS and Yusuke KS-clone are not - but at the last bit towards the tip I thought that it turned upwards too much. Maybe I'm remembering it wrongly. PT - can you post a comparison shot of the tip profiles?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

That's a dramatic difference!

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    I had purchased - and returned immediately - a 52100 Ultimatum from the first batch. One of the things I didn't like about it was that it really wasn't a very good copy of the KS. Sure it was flat from the heel forward to about the 1/2 point - DEAD flat, which too me is too flat, and the KS and Yusuke KS-clone are not - but at the last bit towards the tip I thought that it turned upwards too much. Maybe I'm remembering it wrongly. PT - can you post a comparison shot of the tip profiles?
    The flat spot on KS is not 1/2, it's shorter.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread