masamoto ks owners!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
hey guys to all you masamoto ks owner what is the patina usally like visually on this knife is it pretty or more on the dull side and if anyone has pics please feel free to show them im very interested thanks

I don't own a ks but I have had a few white steel knives. The patina really depends on what you are cutting. Blues and purples from proteins and onions, citrus, acidic fruits produce more of a grey patina.

DSC1013JPG_9820024_7212693.jpg

DSC1011JPG_3458140_7212662.jpg

That has to be one of the nicest lineups of knives ever!

It goes from dull gray to rather radiant colors depending of the light. I have been cutting a little bit of everything with mine and this is what it looks like today. Avatar is KS too.

DSC07862_zpsecfa9ba8.jpg

DSC07858_zps73418c3b.jpg

DSC07857_zps4b50322e.jpg

Here's mine. Takes a nice blue patina.

masamotoks.jpg

Thanks guys! A little silly, but fun.

It's just the standard mustard thinned with a touch of vinegar and painted on with one of my kids cheap watercolor brushes. I also wipe the face with some cows blood to emulate the honyaki rainbow laquer.

Ha Ha - sweet!! Hey Chris - getting a patina on that Ontario yet? My Goodell is coloring up fast. Damn - this is a great knife!!!

Oh Yah, its taking a nice brilliant blue. I still can't get over how light and nimble it is, especially being so old.

i am trying, desperately, not to pull the trigger... but then again, i want to shorten my waiting time for my marko custom gyuto a little...

how do you guys describe the profile of the KS? it seems to be quite flat, no?

i am trying, desperately, not to pull the trigger... but then again, i want to shorten my waiting time for my marko custom gyuto a little...

how do you guys describe the profile of the KS? it seems to be quite flat, no?

Are you thinking about getting the 252mm KS suji over in the FOR SALE thread?

It is a great price - I wouldn't hesitate were it not for fact I had just ordered a Misono that is on a plane as I type...

[EDIT - ooops sorry if I got hopes up I see it just sold. Someone got a good deal]

Are you thinking about getting the 252mm KS suji over in the FOR SALE thread?
no, i am actually interested in the 240mm gyuto...

Yeah the profile is super flat, that's one of the reasons why I got rid of mine
that's what i expected... i am not into superflat... but hey, then i don't have to buy that one. you helped me save money, thanks a lot!!!

I would actually say the spine has less curvature than normal, making the tip very lean and pointy. The edge does have some belly, just not a ton. If you do a lot of tip work, the KS is hands down a great knife.

I didn't find it too flat at all great profile overall IMO

I know everyone says the profile is great and all, but I really did not like it. Too flat and not tall enough though I am aware that there is some variation from one to another

I like the profile, my problem was the blade height. Mine was very used when I purchased it,it almost felt like a suji.

labor, what is your ks' heel height?? mine ks never sharping is about 49mm....

The height of Don's pass-around 270 KS is about 52mm at the heel.

Ya the one I used was plenty like 50mm

Mario hybrid is barley 45mm and I find that plenty as well... If you get smaller handle which I actually like after getting used to it height isn't as import

Back