JNS 1000 - what is wrong?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathonuk

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was flattening my Jns 1k using bester 500 and flattened side doesn't cut like before. Othet side is cutting like hell. Whats wrong then?

Perhaps some of the ceramic binder from the Bester (Beston) has clogged it?
You might try cleaning it with a green scrubbie under running water.

It might be clogged with mud from the 500? Not sure, but that would be my guess. I think you'll have results using a diamond plate to flatten.

I use a JNS 1K and it cuts like crazy when freshly lapped, but does collect a little swarf along the way, although never so much that it stops cutting effectively. I usually give it a little rub down with a diamond plate between knives.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will have a definitive answer for you.

Honestly never experienced it :( but yes it might be clogged from 500

I think the others are on to it. I use a diamond plate to lap mine and do not have any issues with it clogging up unless I am thinning my Farberware stainless POS knives.

You flatten a stone with some other stone? :bigeek:

flattening stones against each other is a common and effective method that requires no additional equipment. it's what i do for quick clean up, when i don't feel like bringing out a diamond plate.

I don't have diamond plate. I've got very small dmt which you can hold in your wallet. Will try it tommorow. Thanks anyway

I don't have diamond plate. I've got very small dmt which you can hold in your wallet. Will try it tommorow. Thanks anyway

i have one of those. it's great for cleaning a stone. maybe flatten your stones together, and then use the little DMT to clean the surface.

Back