Quantcast
Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Is the gyuto a 240mm?
    Yup

It was dropped off a few minutes ago. Opened to have a quick look at condition...everything looks fine. I'll do something useful with it probably weds/thurs.

2 immediate observations though: 1) considerably heavier than what I'm used to; 2) I've never seen scales protrude above the bolster like that. Did you have it re-handled for larger hands?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    It was dropped off a few minutes ago. Opened to have a quick look at condition...everything looks fine. I'll do something useful with it probably weds/thurs.

2 immediate observations though: 1) considerably heavier than what I'm used to; 2) I've never seen scales protrude above the bolster like that. Did you have it re-handled for larger hands?
    That is the factory handle.

I'd certainly be interested if you are still going to do the passaround. Always looking for lefty specific knives to try. Thanks! What sort of edge do you have on it?

Nice idea! I'll be interested to see what y'all think. It's definitely a heavier knife. The butt of the handle can be ground down. IIRC, I ground off 20+ g of metal on mine.

im definitely going to test it out on a two 50 lb cases of potatoes when i get it.

These are some older pics that I took to illustrate the food release on the glestain. It's not the best cutter of the bunch and it steers a bit but I couldn't get stuff to stick to the right side of it if I tried.

I was sick most of the week so I didn't get to use it much....but I did get to spend an hour with it on Saturday, with some potatoes, turnips, spinach, garlic, a couple of onions, and a pile of fruit for a salad.

Was a good cutter, but I was really impressed by the lack of sticking...particularly with the potatoes. I had to go get another knife out of the drawer to convince myself I wasn't wrong. It does have a bit of sticktion on the right hand side, due to how flat it is...but that went away once I got used to how handle-heavy it is and got my motion going smoothly.

I did notice some steering when cutting through a cantaloupe, but not through a pineapple.

I really enjoyed it....and wish I had been well enough to spend more time with it. I'll put it in the post tomorrow for Mrmnms.

K-Fed, Just realized I totally forgot about taking any photos...apologies. I'll get it right next time!

Received it today. Reminds me of my old Wustof and Henkel knives in weight. When I first saw this years ago, I thought it was "the bomb " . Still very cool. Zweifel left it nice. Played with a little tonight, we'll serious this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread