Quantcast
Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only

Attachment 14590Attachment 14591Attachment 14592Attachment 14593Attachment 14594Attachment 14595
    I was very pleasantly surprised. Felt like the weight of an 8 in German Chef knife. I tried a few different things and compared it to a pretty diverse group of knives. Not the sharpest knife but virtually nothing sticks. Nothing like it. No wedging anywhere near the tip, just off the heel. After I removed a few micro chips and touched up the edge as per K-Fed's suggestion, the knife took on a whole new personality. I don't know how long the edge will hold up, but it's very sharp.

couple shot s prepping brisket

Name:  photo(7).JPG
Views: 133
Size:  28.0 KBName:  photo(8).JPG
Views: 129
Size:  42.3 KBName:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 134
Size:  35.6 KBName:  photo(2).JPG
Views: 121
Size:  41.8 KBName:  photo(3).JPG
Views: 137
Size:  43.0 KB

Knife is en route to Igasho (Josh) in British Columbia. Very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nice shots...and dinner! Is that a Gengetsu above the Glestain in the carving pic?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

That's a Yoshikane. I pulled out a bunch of knives to compare the edges ,release and wedging before and after sharpening. The scimitars are project knives to re handle. My kids love pot roast. The briskets were supposed to be for some pastrami to cure but I got out voted. Maybe this weekend we'll start again.

I will be contacting Canada Customs, they are trying to charge me over $87 in customs fee's, worst case scenario they will be marked return to sender and will be coming back your way. I have never been hit with customs for something like this before I will be calling them tomorrow on my lunch break.

Sorry guys I just can't afford $87 in customs and then shipping costs to next person to just try out a super awesome knife, might be different if I was buying it and I got a really good price on it. Even then I have hard time paying customs fee's to the greedy government.

*edit*
    Oh when I saw the package it had been ripped open by customs and had yellow customs tape ALL over it, I hope those heavy handed bastards didn't damage the blade.

This is the proper place for this post

It appears this knife is held up at Customs according to Igasho. It may be coming back to me. Hopefully, Igasho can resolve it. FYI K-Fed, I fully insured it. Over $40 to ship to Igasho from NY. So sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    It appears this knife is held up at Customs according to Igasho. It may be coming back to me. Hopefully, Igasho can resolve it. FYI K-Fed, I fully insured it. Over $40 to ship to Igasho from NY. So sorry.
    No worries. I've got a feeling the knife I sent back to Pierre to get fixed is probably hung up in customs as well.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

I'll pull the shipping paperwork on Monday in case we don't hear anything.

OK here is the story. Customs has it and wants $84.84, they will not budge on it. So I will have it returned to sender. However moving forward they have given me the loophole for shipping things to Canada duty free. Insure it however you want up to or above the full value, but on the customs form put no more than $59.99 as the value and always only mark the gift box. if any other boxes are marked they will search it. I am sorry I ruined this pass around for a couple weeks.

I was told by my local post office that it was a problem insuring it for one value and declaring another value on the customs form. Curious if anyone has a different experience.