Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
I don't really use this one much these days. This knife has been used and sharpened quite a bit but still cuts well and works as the guys at glestain intended as for as food release. Anyone interested? Usual passaround rules apply.

Very cool K-Fed - I'm game to test drive it.

I'd be interested on my Wife's behalf, she is a lefty :)

If i had more dexterity in my off hand I'd love to try, sadly I'd likely lose a finger in or two in the process.

I'm going to give this a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested. I'd like to add the "flat Stanley" rule thought not a requirement for participation. I just think it would be cool if we could get a picture of the user and the knife in its natural environment as it makes its rounds :)

I'm going to give this a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested. I'd like to add the "flat Stanley" rule thought not a requirement for participation. I just think it would be cool if we could get a picture of the user and the knife in its natural environment as it makes its rounds :)

Cool idea...Happy to oblige, but any regrets you may have for casting your gaze towards me will not be received sympathetically! :D

Ooops - didn't catch the lefties only part - I'm out.

Ok... the short list is

Zwiefel
Mrmnms
Igasho
Notaskinnychef

Ziefel if you could pm me your addy I'll get this thing rolling. I'll sharpen it up and get it out tomorrow if I can. Feel free to keep it for longer than a week though no longer than a month since there are so few of you on the list. This knife has been my "beater" for the last couple years so don't be a nancy about using it either ;x.

Ok... the short list is

Zwiefel
Mrmnms
Igasho
Notaskinnychef

Ziefel if you could pm me your addy I'll get this thing rolling. I'll sharpen it up and get it out tomorrow if I can. Feel free to keep it for longer than a week though no longer than a month since there are so few of you on the list. This knife has been my "beater" for the last couple years so don't be a nancy about using it either ;x.

Your inbox is full :eyebrow::biggrin:

I will have the wife beat it a bit for ya >:p

Zwiefel, sharpened and shipped it out today. Should be there monday. There are still a couple of remnants of chips in the edge from the last time it got seriously beat on. Just wanted to give you a heads up so you didn't think you did it. Feel free to sharpen it if it needs it and if you give it a good go round it probably will. I put a micro bevel at around 20 degrees on the left side and finish on the back side at around 15 or so, so it's easy to touch up a'la suisin IH per mr. jon broida.

Awesome! looking forward to putting it to work.

It was dropped off a few minutes ago. Opened to have a quick look at condition...everything looks fine. I'll do something useful with it probably weds/thurs.

2 immediate observations though: 1) considerably heavier than what I'm used to; 2) I've never seen scales protrude above the bolster like that. Did you have it re-handled for larger hands?

It was dropped off a few minutes ago. Opened to have a quick look at condition...everything looks fine. I'll do something useful with it probably weds/thurs.

2 immediate observations though: 1) considerably heavier than what I'm used to; 2) I've never seen scales protrude above the bolster like that. Did you have it re-handled for larger hands?
That is the factory handle.

I'd certainly be interested if you are still going to do the passaround. Always looking for lefty specific knives to try. Thanks! What sort of edge do you have on it?

Nice idea! I'll be interested to see what y'all think. It's definitely a heavier knife. The butt of the handle can be ground down. IIRC, I ground off 20+ g of metal on mine.

These are some older pics that I took to illustrate the food release on the glestain. It's not the best cutter of the bunch and it steers a bit but I couldn't get stuff to stick to the right side of it if I tried.

IMG_0052.jpg

SSPX0089.jpg

I was sick most of the week so I didn't get to use it much....but I did get to spend an hour with it on Saturday, with some potatoes, turnips, spinach, garlic, a couple of onions, and a pile of fruit for a salad.

Was a good cutter, but I was really impressed by the lack of sticking...particularly with the potatoes. I had to go get another knife out of the drawer to convince myself I wasn't wrong. It does have a bit of sticktion on the right hand side, due to how flat it is...but that went away once I got used to how handle-heavy it is and got my motion going smoothly.

I did notice some steering when cutting through a cantaloupe, but not through a pineapple.

I really enjoyed it....and wish I had been well enough to spend more time with it. I'll put it in the post tomorrow for Mrmnms.

K-Fed, Just realized I totally forgot about taking any photos...apologies. I'll get it right next time!

Received it today. Reminds me of my old Wustof and Henkel knives in weight. When I first saw this years ago, I thought it was "the bomb " . Still very cool. Zweifel left it nice. Played with a little tonight, we'll serious this weekend.

Back