Quantcast
what would YOU choose. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what would YOU choose.

I have a Pierre custom and a Devin custom, 240 gyutos. Hell I'll take a KS, I hear they are great knives, what you guys laughing at? My buddy at work loves his ks suji, I really want to try a KS gyuto still. In all honesty it depends what you want, but my vote is the DT itk. A friend has one in AEB-L at work, it's a great knife, good all arounder, seems the Pierre mid tech is a little slender, more of a detail work gyuto, we will have to wait and see how the new Pierre is in that review I guess. Devin seems to do a good job of that one knife to do it all, if your into that sort of thing

After using DT and Masamoto the Masamoto is way ahead.
    Way way way

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    After using DT and Masamoto the Masamoto is way ahead.
    Way way way
    Mike, is this an off the shelf KS or one that you have tuned up? I ask because it sounds as if many Masamoto's seem to need some work done when new and you have been known for doing this type of work.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Just sharpened, as it was not my blade.

Same with DT ITK 24

DT for steel selection and HT alone. Plus, these are all in-house made knives, with custom heat treatment, Devin doing all grinding and final handle shaping and John (Devin's son) probably doing heat treating, under Devin's watchful eye.

I am not going to go into details, but heat treatment steps, sequence and timing,are extremely important, and no commercial heat treatment can match that for a simple reason that they heat treat bigger batches and require more time to move from one step in HT process to another. And that could be a difference in a wire edge or no-wire edge on a blade in certain steels. This is just an example to illustrate the benefit of a small scale custom heat treatment.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

rodrigue first, if a 270mm sees the light of day. dt itk second. i wasnt very impressed with the masamoto ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    DT for steel selection and HT alone. Plus, these are all in-house made knives, with custom heat treatment, Devin doing all grinding and final handle shaping and John (Devin's son) probably doing heat treating, under Devin's watchful eye.
    all this applies to ITKs as well as customs?

I was under the impression when Devin started the ITK, he wanted to get somebody to do the heat treating, but if I remember right his standards were not met, and he has done them all himself. I am sure somebody knows the real story and can shed some light.

Masamoto KS. It's my favorite knife, for a variety of reasons.

I've never tried a Pierre knife but I'd prep with the DT and work the line with KS. Two different jobs that each knife is better suited for.